There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

Non inspiring mediocre growth.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Valley Forge, PA
Former Employee - Software Developer in Valley Forge, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great. Company reputation as a stable safe place to work is amazing. Very close to Philadelphia.

Cons

Slow to no innovation. Not really a place if you want personal and skills growth. Pay is average or low in comparison to other financial firms.

Advice to Management

If you want to change the community, listen to your employees and not outside sources.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Best to place to work in IT

Current Contractor - Senior Developer in Malvern, PA
    Current Contractor - Senior Developer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, leadership and lot of opportunities to learn new technologies

Cons

Low pay and not many promotions

Solid benefits, secure job, low pay

Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are solid. PTO policy is pretty generous. They have a good deal with their Retirement and Savings Program, too. They do a dollar for dollar 401k matching contribution, up to the first 4% of your pay, which is 100% vested. They also do quarterly contributions of 10% of your eligible earnings, which are fully vested after 6 years working there. It's pretty difficult to get fired--you have to screw up pretty badly. And they've never had layoffs in their history, so there's definitely good job security. My experience with management has all been pretty positive. Some of the higher ups (like 3 levels above me) don't listen well to the average peons, but that's pretty typical. My direct supervisors have all been pretty good though.

Cons

Opportunities are limited, at least at the Charlotte office. They're turning it into a call center. If you work at the Charlotte office, you will either be on the phones, or managing or supporting people on the phones. Across Vanguard, pay isn't competitive at all compared with other companies in the industry. And I've heard that external hires into the same role that I'm in started off with higher pay than me, despite my being more valuable to them by knowing Vanguard's internal systems and procedures.