There are newer employer reviews for Varen Technologies

Good people and great opportunities!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Varen Technologies

Pros

I've been with Varen for a little over a month and I have to say everything has been exactly as they promised (or better) during my several-month transition from a large consulting firm. Although I liked my former employer, Varen is even better! It is fun and exciting to be with a small company that is growing and to be at a place where you can make a real impact.

Cons

When I was at "big consulting firm," we had a system or a process for just about everything. Varen is still working on that. On the other hand, there are great opportunities to take some of these projects on--Varen leadership appreciates and rewards those who go above and beyond to help advance the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you've done to get this far! Hiring only the best staff and rewarding them for the company's success is a model that is working for Varen and its employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Shady Company

Former Employee - Consultant in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Consultant in Columbia, MD

I worked at Varen Technologies

Pros

The way they structure their pay and compensation is similar to the Booz Allen Hamilton model since the owner is a former BAH partner. However, unlike BAH, they have a much better competitive pay and time off, as they are a fairly new company (~3 years old).

Cons

They give a great sales pitch to come work for them, but if you ever leave, it's like you mean nothing to them. Also, there is not a lot of room for movement from position to position. I consider management to be a bit shady. They were not very upfront with my role and responsibility. Because if they were, I would not have joined. However, management's job is to fill as many positions on contracts as possible.

Advice to Management

Be honest with people you recruit or else they'll just leave later on.

2. Great company!

Former Employee - Senior Network Security Consultant in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Network Security Consultant in Columbia, MD

I worked at Varen Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive benefits (401K, vacation, medical, dental, etc.). The company treats it employees well and provides them with many opportunities to participate in the growth of the company (interviewing potential employees, bid proposals, etc.). Additionally, employees are rewarded (bonuses, pay incentives, raises) for their participation in these events as well as for their extra efforts in client spaces.

Cons

The company is expanding and is growing very quickly. As a result, they have lost some of their small company charm. Additionally, managements focus tends to shift away from their employees and towards the pursuit of additional clients/contracts.

Advice to Management

Managers should touch base with their employees on a regular basis. There is a fine line between feeling like you are trusted because your management leaves you alone to do your work and feeling abandoned because your management hasn't visited/contacted you in 6 months.