Varian Medical Systems

www.varian.com

Great product but stuck in the 1960's in company culture

Engineering (Current Employee)

ProsWe fight cancer. SW is getting interesting and a great alternative to coding on products such as games in other local companies. New cafeteria coming in a year. Very very nice people!

ConsNow that Sales dept took their entire families to a high end resort in Maui for a week as an "incentive", Engineering has to suffer by being required to take vacation to save on costs. Where is our "incentive" for giving them the great products to sell? Oh ya, 3% profit sharing like what every employee gets is our incentive. Did the execs not think this news would make it back somehow to other groups? My boss told me that Finance held a big offsite in a villa in Italy last year. How nice. They will not buy Varian shirts for us to wear with pride but it's ok for things like that. We are also very understaffed not only in my area but in many many other groups. Also, FORGET about flexibility in work time. If management can't physically see you in your cube, the culture is that you must not be working and they shame you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to let go of execs who have no experience in other companies and are suffocating groups in not allowing them to grow as the company and customer demand grows. Mgmt needs to loosen up and create an environment where the 20 something year olds like me can work. Read some books on Gen Y and tell the baby boomers around to suck it up when the younger employees get just as much work done but just not while at their desk. You know, working from home isn't new right??

Company morale is at an all time low.

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems

Pros: The work Varian does towards improving the lives of people with cancer is… Cons: It's not how well you perform but how well you suck up to the top executives that determines how far you go. There have… Advice to Senior Management: Put customers first again. You have to start from the top to gain the trust and admiration of the customers to put… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great product but a company that did not share the profits with employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Varian Medical Systems

Pros: Work was consistent and backlog plentiful Cons: employees were expendable and unappreciated. Advice to Senior Management: Raises should equal cost of living especially when company profits… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Varian Medical Systems.

Worked for Varian Medical Systems? Contribute to the Community!