Great product but stuck in the 1960's in company culture

Current Employee - Engineering
Current Employee - Engineering

Pros

We fight cancer. SW is getting interesting and a great alternative to coding on products such as games in other local companies. New cafeteria coming in a year. Very very nice people!

Cons

Now that Sales dept took their entire families to a high end resort in Maui for a week as an "incentive", Engineering has to suffer by being required to take vacation to save on costs. Where is our "incentive" for giving them the great products to sell? Oh ya, 3% profit sharing like what every employee gets is our incentive. Did the execs not think this news would make it back somehow to other groups? My boss told me that Finance held a big offsite in a villa in Italy last year. How nice. They will not buy Varian shirts for us to wear with pride but it's ok for things like that. We are also very understaffed not only in my area but in many many other groups. Also, FORGET about flexibility in work time. If management can't physically see you in your cube, the culture is that you must not be working and they shame you.

Advice to Management

Time to let go of execs who have no experience in other companies and are suffocating groups in not allowing them to grow as the company and customer demand grows. Mgmt needs to loosen up and create an environment where the 20 something year olds like me can work. Read some books on Gen Y and tell the baby boomers around to suck it up when the younger employees get just as much work done but just not while at their desk. You know, working from home isn't new right??

Other Employee Reviews for Varian Medical Systems

Company morale is at an all time low.

Pros

The work Varian does towards improving the lives of people with cancer is wonderful. I love being part of the cutting edge in cancer treatment.

Cons

It's not how well you perform but how well you suck up to the top executives that determines how far you go. There have recently been many changes with very inexperienced people beng placed into positions that they are not competent to run. The majority of the workforce are not feeling as though Varian is a career company anymore. The focus has gotten off the customers, and when we lose sight of what put us in these positions, we no longer can be the best.

Advice to Management

Put customers first again. You have to start from the top to gain the trust and admiration of the customers to put Varian where they once. And top executives need show employees they're appreciated for their work not by who can brown nose the best.

Good Company

Pros

Vet friendly company with good customer focus

Cons

Too much managment. Too many Chiefs. Most managers are glorified email forwarders

Advice to Management

less management