Various

www.various.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Various

Get out of my way and let me do my job.

Current Employee - Senior Linux Administrator in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Senior Linux Administrator in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Various

Pros

We push a lot of traffic. From an Operations' perspective it is a large, interesting and exciting environment with lots of room for improvement still. There are many technical challenges to work through that are engaging. Many of the people I work with are technically very bright, personally very friendly and are fun to work with. Experimentation is encouraged and can prompt change. There is a strong culture to promote from within when appropriate and seek fresh blood when needed. The Health and 401(k) options are both decently provisioned, with low co-pays on health care and up to 4% matching on 401(k) contributions.

Cons

Management, especially Senior Management, often to seem to be at odds with the staff leading to low morale. Low morale leads to high turnover. I've had to talk others out of leaving and others have had to talk me out of it too. It often feels that management does not trust its employees. The management culture tends to prefer "fast, cheap" while the grunts usually prefer "cheap, good". Communication from management is spotty and oft changing, sometimes wildly. Resource constraints aligned with unrealistic management demands leads to rampant hack-assery, with documentation often an after thought if it was a thought at all, "wrong" decisions made in the interest of speed and things generally getting 80% finished, "good enough to work" but never with any "polish". There are only 9 holidays a year and PTO is too low, with sick days sharing the PTO pool. Telecommuting on a regular basis is verboten. Stress is often high due to too few hands leading to multiple concurrent demands on many of the Operations staff, leading to insufficient focused time for major projects. The work schedule often does not include adequate time for evaluation of options, proper implementation of solutions or documentation.

Come up with a Vision and then ask us for a plan to meet that vision. Don't try to dictate technical solutions, let the techies work the technology and management work the business. When you're still not sure what's going on keep your mouth shut. When you have some certainly openly and quickly communicate what the deal is. Encourage cross group collaboration. LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES AND TAKE ACTION BASED ON THEIR FEEDBACK.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Various (View Most Recent)

Full of opportunities.

Former Employee - Motor Pool Manager/Agri Support Manager in Bais, Province of Iloilo (Philippines)

I worked at Various full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good personal relationship and management support.

Cons

Deadline on support & equipment repairs based on season.

Enhance technical capabilities of service personnel

I worked at Various

Pros

All the various sound post production studios are different, but generally the staff are all very friendly and willing to help.

Cons

Being freelance one never becomes a complete part of the various studios, so it is sometimes possible to feel somewhat isolated.

Look after your permanent staff better.

There are newer employer reviews for Various