There are newer employer reviews for Varsity Tutors

Straightforward expectations, uncomplicated and convenient setup

Current Contractor - GRE/Economics Tutor in San Diego, CA
Current Contractor - GRE/Economics Tutor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Scheduling is completely flexible! This is a huge help. Unless you have a completely predictable schedule, having the ability to set your work days and decide to take on more or less students is extremely helpful. Also, Varsity Tutors is pretty hands-off, so you figure out what tutoring methods work for you, and you log your lessons online. Occasionally you may not click with a student (or your methods may not work), but most of the time, you sort things out and it is productive. Students are almost always friendly and invested in improving themselves.

Cons

Once you are a tutor for Varsity, you cannot tutor for other agencies. This is reasonable but can be frustrating. Also, there are dry spells where you get no students. So, you cannot count on this job for reliable income. Some months you make a lot, other months, sometimes zero. If you have no tutoring experience, it may be daunting to tutor your first students, and sometimes you get a student and things just don't work out (e.g. you can't help them, or they aren't sure they need you, etc.).

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Excellent

I have been working at Varsity Tutors

Pros

Varsity Tutors is an amazing company to work for. It was a wonderful team of people who truly help each other every step of the way!

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Great job!

2. Simply the Best

Current Contractor - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Contractor - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Varsity Tutors by far outshines their competition. The pay is competitive, and there is a feeling as though you are part of a family and not just an employee. The management is very supportive and provide you the freedom to accept or decline clients based upon your strengths and teaching style. With this company you are never forced into an uncomfortable position yet are encouraged to excel as a tutor. Great job!

Cons

I am not able to take all the clients I am offered based on my personal schedule, however I do appreciate the opportunity.

Advice to Management

This company is what the entire industry strives to become. Remember, imitation is the highest form of flattery!