There are newer employer reviews for Varsity Tutors

Straightforward expectations, uncomplicated and convenient setup

Current Contractor - GRE/Economics Tutor in San Diego, CA
Current Contractor - GRE/Economics Tutor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Scheduling is completely flexible! This is a huge help. Unless you have a completely predictable schedule, having the ability to set your work days and decide to take on more or less students is extremely helpful. Also, Varsity Tutors is pretty hands-off, so you figure out what tutoring methods work for you, and you log your lessons online. Occasionally you may not click with a student (or your methods may not work), but most of the time, you sort things out and it is productive. Students are almost always friendly and invested in improving themselves.

Cons

Once you are a tutor for Varsity, you cannot tutor for other agencies. This is reasonable but can be frustrating. Also, there are dry spells where you get no students. So, you cannot count on this job for reliable income. Some months you make a lot, other months, sometimes zero. If you have no tutoring experience, it may be daunting to tutor your first students, and sometimes you get a student and things just don't work out (e.g. you can't help them, or they aren't sure they need you, etc.).

Other Employee Reviews for Varsity Tutors

1. Excellent

Pros

Varsity Tutors is an amazing company to work for. It was a wonderful team of people who truly help each other every step of the way!

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Great job!

2. Excellent experience

Current Contractor - Tutor in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Tutor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Hiring staff communicated clearly with me during the interview process My managers were always available when I needed them. They promptly responded to me when I asked questions. Clients that Varsity Tutors paired me with were fantastic!

Cons

Prompt replies from staff (after hours) sometimes led me to respond immediately as well, rather than responding the next day.

Advice to Management

Please keep the open communication with us! We really appreciate it! Even as we've grown