Varsity Tutors

www.varsitytutors.com
  www.varsitytutors.com
There are newer employer reviews for Varsity Tutors

Good part time job if you're a college student

Former Employee - Tutor
Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Varsity Tutors part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One-on-one sessions, flexible schedule, good hourly pay, most of the students are wonderful and enthusiastic, management is easy to reach and usually very helpful, interview was informal an enjoyable

Cons

Hard to move up, not a lot of hours per week, paid once monthly, categorized as an independent contractor for tax purposes so you owe all of your taxes at the end of the year, some students are far from your house, but you can get distance pay

Don't categorize tutors as independent contractors. It's a cheap way for the company to keep costs down, but it can be unnecessarily problematic for tutors at the end of the year.

95 Other Employee Reviews for Varsity Tutors (View Most Recent)

Good source of referrals

Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I had ample clients to choose from; never felt like I was being ignored by management. I enjoyed my clients and the staff was very responsive to my needs.

Cons

The salary, even at the highest end of the band, is far below market. Don't be afraid to push for higher rates, especially if you have a unique field of expertise, but be aware that you really won't be getting close to what other companies are able to offer. Additionally, your paycheck only comes once a month, which can be rather annoying.

Try to coordinate amongst the Varsity representatives in a more clear way.

This is a terrible company to tutor for.

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The pros are that you get to work one on one with a student.

Cons

They do not take taxes out of your paycheck. So you really make a lot less per hour than you think. Also, it is a pyramid scheme. People get hired on to move up the ranks...but the work is not tutoring, it is dumb online filing with bosses that are too caught up in details that don't matter. Those who do stay as tutors have to drive, get no compensation and no benefits, while the people higher up are taking the profit margins for themselves. Varsity is just a cleverly disguised scam, in my opinion. Yes, it can help people, but mostly is hurting the tutors who help them get everything.

Maybe you should think about the people that are out there, in the field, doing the tutoring. Those people are making your company run, because you can't sell a product that isn't real, and if you treat your tutors like crap they will leave your company.

There are newer employer reviews for Varsity Tutors