Very fulfilling experience!

Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Ventera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay.
Family friendly environment.
Really bright employees.

Cons

Not too many to choose from but there is some weekend work closer to deployment times.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Ventera

Pros

Venter is a pretty good place to work. The company stands out from most software shops because of its focus on upfront requirements analysis and formal requirements documentation. Overall the company has very good technical skills, with several very good lead programmers and system engineers. The company has the best network and systems configuration folks I've ever seen. Ventera is a very sincere and hardworking group of people. They try to be fair to everyone, customers and employees alike. There is very little politics at the basic employee lever [not sure about upper management -- at least upper level politics never filtered down to my level]. They are normally honest with customers when things are delayed or there are problems. Some projects are managed extremely well. They have a relaxed dress code, flex-time, and free coffee and soda.

Cons

Most employees eat lunch at their desk, never together. People are friendly, but usually too busy to socialize turning office hours. Sr. Management sometimes tries too hard to please customers, asking the employees to satisfy sometimes silly or impractical requests ('Customer is always right.") There sometimes very tight , unrealistic deadlines [but that's true of most software companies, right?] Women have complained about the "male dominated, old boy" culture. No women are in any senior management roles. Some projects are not managed as well as others.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately Ventera has not grown as fast as Sr. Management has wanted. This makes it hard for new people to advance into lead or manager positions within the company. The company often feels like upper management has a firm grip on the top spots and won't let newcomers into the inner circle. Some very talented people have left Ventera for better growth opportunities.

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Ventera

Pros

Work/Life Balance - Ventera is much more focused on the quality of work than when and where it gets done. Very little micromanagement. Humility and geniune care and concern of employees by CEO and some other senior leaders. Strong client delivery capabilities - we do whatever it takes to get the job dones for our clients.

Cons

Senior leadership has not led a company through stages of growth or downturns in the economy, which can make it difficult to proactively position Ventera for consistent growth and success. Ventera has had some great years and some bad years. We seem to be significantly impacted by the economy.

Advice to Management

Hire an experienced leader who has helped grow a company to $100M to augment our existing leadership team.