Verio
www.verio.com Englewood, CO 150 to 499 Employees

Account Executive IV

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Verio full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCoworkers were very personable, there was good camaraderie among them. Verio used to be quite a leader in the web hosting industry, had some of the best government and corporate high power companies for clients, and manage huge hosting facilities connected to MAE west; not sure the connectivity on east coast. Not sure of their lead at this time.

ConsTop out of country management gave orders that were not reasonable: hire 20 people this month, cut 10 next month, etc. Middle and low managers would come and go - every 4 months we got new management and there was a lot of turmoil around it.

Sales managers had this idea that clients should be contacted every 3 months, or the rep would lose them. This caused for a lot of scramble and unfair fighting. Why spend a lot of time with a client, only to have them call back for upgrades and get assigned to a new rep who had not made the investment?

There was also too much emphasis on making 60-100 calls a day, which did not lend to quality time with clients, nor to follow up with clients, nor getting any paperwork done. Both strategies were not well managed. Also, when we got a deal, there was very little hoopla and praise. Perhaps its better now in CO.

Corporate layoffs (I experienced 3) were often, and usually cut salaries. For example, layoff someone making $60k, and rehire someone else at $35k a few months later.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for qualities of character when hiring, not just brag sheet. Consider promoting from within more; they are generally your best people anyhow, not outsiders that do not know the company yet. When I was there, promotion within only happened roughly 20% of the time. A lot of good talent was lost and went away because of that.

It was fun while it lasted.

Customer Service (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Verio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: From 1998-2002 it was great. Stock Option checks. Dot com boom. Was a growing… Cons: Getting laid off in 2002. Advice to Senior Management: The management is all different now. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Fail up

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Verio full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: There is a steady paycheck and decent benefits for someone just starting out, IF you can be a full time employee. … Cons: Nepotism, idiocy and failure are all qualifications for management. … Advice to Senior Management: Learn to listen to your employees and stop trying to cut… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Verio.

Worked for Verio? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verio reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Verio CEO Hideyuki Yamasawa . All reviews posted anonymously by Verio employees.