There are newer employer reviews for Verizon

Good pay and benefits but bad treatment of employees.

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Verizon

Pros

The pay and benefits at Verizon are the best in the industry.

Cons

There is very limited opportunity for growth in many non-management positions. Even if you use the educational benefits and get all the degrees and certificates available, unfortunately, in order to put those skills to work, you will likely be forced to seek employment elsewhere. Many employees promoted to management positions have only demonstrated the ability to do their previous job well and have not demonstrated the ability to lead. Consequently, many employees holding management positions do not understand how job satisfaction directly affects employee performance and attendance, which in turn directly affects customer satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Make sure that employees are treated as valuable assets. When employees fill out satisfaction surveys, listen and act.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Don't leave the Union for Management

Former Employee - Team Leader in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Verizon

Pros

Great pay, training, and benefits for Union positions. Management positions receive ongoing training and there is a good support team. In the Union positions you have the opportunity to make really good money, even without a degree. For consultant/customer service type positions it pays 20+ per hour and overtime is typically available. Verizon is huge on compliance and training, so you'll always be up-to-date on what you are selling. (I've worked for other TELCOS that just gave you zero training). Plenty of room withing the company to move around and into other positions. Great incentives/awards for excellence in sales, etc.

Cons

Union positions pay well but policies are not very flexible. Taking a management position is pure hell. I started off as a Residential Sales & Service Consultant. Though the pay was excellent, I found the work repetitive and I wanted more challenges so I took a promotion to Team Leader. This promotion was ill advised as you become hated by the Union employees and beaten down by Mid-level management. You are always struggling like a juggler to keep 4 balls in the air.. while getting kicked. I eventually took another promotion/lateral move to become a business sales rep that was for less money, but allowed more freedom. I eventually took a management buyout and I now work for AT&T.

Advice to Management

Jump.

2. learn to work together to both meet an objective instead of policing workers

Current Employee - Central Office Technician in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Central Office Technician in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Verizon

Pros

the benefits are great ..healthcare is free..you can go to college or any school to study any topic and they will pay for it as long as you maintain a "c" average..and job stability ..verizon has been around for a very long time..it is also a very reputable job respected by potential creditors...creditors are very excited to do business with you when they find out your employer..

Cons

in my department but not verizon as a whole promoted very inexperienced managers..the moral ...they are outsourcing work to different countries..they are downsizing right now so you if you are lucky, you may be put in a department that you didnt apply for

Advice to Management

learn the job and set realistic quotas and understand that associates are human first...