Great coworkers and experience

Former Employee - Specialist Engineer - Network Engineer  in  Hilliard, OH
Former Employee - Specialist Engineer - Network Engineer in Hilliard, OH

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My coworkers and my direct management were always great people with whom to work. For being in a tier 1/2 implementation environment, I was still exposed to a wide variety of solutions and technologies, so it's a great spot on my resume at this point.

Cons

The corporate culture was in a constant state of flux. Having been part of the company when it was still Worldcom and going through the scandals involved there, it was always varying degrees of stressful in terms of one's job status - whether or not the layoff axe was going to fall on our department at any given time.

Other Reviews for Verizon

INSIDE SALES, WORST JOB OF MY LIFE. READ IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING A JOB IN HIGHLANDS RANCH, CO

Former Employee - Inside Sales, Medium Business  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales, Medium Business in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, benefits, Salesforce experience good for the resume.

Cons

The landline business is dead and Verizon knows it. My job was to sell landlines, internet, and well as high tech solutions such as cloud and MPLS networks. This idea sounds great at first, until you realize that 90% of your clients and leads are mom and pop shops who only have a budget of MAYBE $3-500 a month. Sure you (barely) get compensated for selling phone lines and internet, which is all most of your clients can afford, but it's nowhere near enough to hit your ever-increasing quota every month. You lose most of your potential sales to AT&T and other providers that are at times half the cost of what Verizon can provide.
    If you like consistency, avoid this job. My quota increased 4 times in one year, your job expectations changed almost weekly, and management adds pointless and time consuming tasks for you to complete often to help with their "reporting", and your credit for selling certain products always goes DOWN....not up. There are literally hundreds of ways to quote and configure solutions for clients. If you are new or need to learn how to complete a quote...good luck finding someone who knows how to do it... with over 300 different products, it's impossible to know all of them.
    Worst of all...you are not in control of your pay. Let me explain. When you make a sale, your order goes to an implementer, from the implementer, the implementer schedules the technician to install the product and also sends your compensation amount to THE order entry person (there is only one for over 90 sales reps). You are paid comp monthly. If the implementer, technician, or order entry person screws up, YOU DONT GET PAID. It's expected to be your job to baby and monitor all of these people if you expect to get paid what you work for. If you don't catch their mistake, it's your fault, not theirs and you don't get paid.
    This job was the most frustrating job I have had in my life. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work here.The stress affected a lot of people's home life. If you get a call from a recruiter, do yourself a favor and say "no thank you"! Or if you don't believe me, in your interview, just ask the manager if you can walk out on the floor and get an idea for a feel of the place. Ask any rep if they like their job.

The managers actually did a good job. They had to go through a lot of what we did...plus some. It's the upper management that needs to wake up and realize that the reason people are leaving is because they are treated unfairly. Upper management views their employees by what they sell each month, not their names....they could care less about you as a person. You could hit your quota 3 months in a row and when you have a tough month...your job is threatened.

Not a Sales Organization

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great brand recognition, solid benefits.

Cons

Horrible bureaucracy. Too many people that can kill a deal, even after you've won the contract! You will never understand how your sales retire quota. If you exceed your quota you are always at risk for a quota increase (each year I had a chance to exceed 100% I've had increases).. If you don't exceed your quota you are threatened (constantly) with termination. Worst sales kick offs I've ever seen - seriously bizarre, each annual kick off features some big demotivating announcement, usually related to layoffs in sales. Pressure to sell big complicated deals, but even more pressure to meet monthly quotas. Hint: survive by selling circuits. It goes on and on. Endless frustration. That said, if you are considering working here make sure your manager declares that he will fight for you. It's the only way you will get paid or even stay employed.

Come clean with us: Your objective is to cut and contain cost. It's good for the stock price (which employees don't benefit from), but bad for just about everybody else.

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon.

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!