Verizon

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Specialist in Irving, TX
Current Employee - Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My manager is very flexible. I have a great team. The culture has remained the same even through a multitude of changes over the last couple of years.

Cons

Because we have people located internationally, sometimes its hard to get things done in a timely manner. Lately the focus has been off the people and the bottom line to an extent.

Onshore the important things. People are important. Love your people! That is how companies remain successful.

2561 Other Employee Reviews for Verizon (View Most Recent)

Loved my job but managerial rules made it very difficult to do.

Former Employee - Cust Care Technician in Sun Prairie, WI
    Former Employee - Cust Care Technician in Sun Prairie, WI

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Verizon, formerly GTE, they had great pay and benefits.

Cons

Management made it VERY difficult to do your job. You were expected to take a repair call every 320 seconds...if you didn't, you wouldn't get a smiley face on your stats for that day.

Learn how to take the advice about what customers want/need from the employees on the front line! And, smiley faces don't on the employees' stats every day does not help the employee!

Turned into an IT sweat shop

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paid the bills. Immediate co-workers and management were great to get along with. Work environment was laid back for the most part.

Cons

This company only has one focus: Their bottom line.

No sense of direction. What direction they did try to implement was implemented horrendously. To many managers quibbling over the future. It became a total drama fest filled with back stabbing and finger pointing.

Off shoring was a complete disaster, of both their programmers and users.

The company would have lay off after lay off to meet their quarterly bottom line. No rhyme or reason to this either. SMEs would be cut for no reason. Only to be re-hired, to then be cut again. Yeah, that's a great idea! Way to build employee moral. To complicate matters, no new blood was ever added. Upper management was completely removed from the worker level. I just don't see how this company can make it with the choices they are making.

Oh and team building exercises, team lunches, office supply budget, small things like coffee? Yeah, those were completely cut after 2004.

90%+ of the people I interacted with loathed their job, but with the economy they needed to pay bills so they just stuck it out.

Good luck Verizon once the economy turns around and what little is left of your skeleton crew decides to move on to greener pastures and you now have legacy systems with no support.

Stop treating your employees like canon fodder.

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon