There are newer employer reviews for Verizon

Verizon OK as a Whole

I have been working at Verizon

Pros

The health plan is great. The training opportunities are great. If you are a self-starter and competent, and meet your deadlines, you are not micro-managed.

Cons

Since we are international, sometimes it is hard to communicate with your teammates that live out of the country. No pension plan.

Bring team building back. Perhaps set up team building activities that can be done via a video conference! Have more meetings with your lowest team members, who sometimes feel left out.

2336 Other Employee Reviews for Verizon (View Most Recent)

At least in my department, a great place to work

Current Employee - Systems Architect  in  Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Architect in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Verizon

Pros

It's hard for me to give a review of the company of a whole--I imagine things are different if you're one of the folks manning the phone pool or something along those lines. But, as a very senior computer engineer, I really couldn't ask for a better place to work. I'm a single father, and they have been unconditionally supportive of my special needs--which needs can sometimes be a bit extreme. The benefits are top-notch, and the bonus structure seems to be administered fairly.

(A bit of an aside: if you're considering a job with Verizon, let me say that, Yes, you will actually get somewhere around the "projected bonus amount" they promise you most years. I know this was something I was a bit skeptical about, but so far it's come through every year, even in this economy.)

Cons

I think the biggest con with Verizon is that you have to understand how they think a little bit. They are very big on *loyalty*. They expect you to show that you are a company man from time-to-time, such as during the threat of a strike last year. "Not my job" doesn't go very far at Verizon. Also, loyalty doesn't keep them from being a bit hard-nosed (e.g. when outsourcing telephone lines to other companies as they've been doing lately.) However, this is not excessive by today's standards, and they are certainly better than 90% of companies in being loyal to their employees.

On a whole, you're doing a great job! My one comment comes more as a customer: couldn't we PLEASE get some DSL in the rural areas?

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - FIOS Installer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - FIOS Installer in New York, NY

I have been working at Verizon

Pros

I get to meet lots of interesting people who seem happy to see me when I arrive for their installation.

Cons

There is a lack of support when needing equipment and workload helps fuel frustration when things go wrong for our customers.

The pions who are out here in the trenches making sure the company prospers know their job and take pride in doing it. You need to listen to them.

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!