VERIZON

I have been working at Verizon

Pros

RELIABLE, both landline and wirelss

Cons

more fios in more areas

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Verizon

Former Employee - Staff Specialist (Programmer) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff Specialist (Programmer) in Denver, CO

I worked at Verizon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are reasonable, not great but maybe a bit above average, or they were. The people are friendly, but people are a mixed bag wherever you land. The hours are flexible, so I could work flex with core hours. Core hours were 9-3.

Cons

Verizon outsources and you must be willing to work with folks in India, or Mexico. That by its self is not horrible, but when they do poor work and you get stuck fixing their issues that blows. Verizon is pushing to outsource as much as possible, which really stinks. With companies like Verizon many Americans are loosing their jobs to outsourcing. Lets be clear, this is for sales and customers service directly in the US. Support of our country is now handled overseas. Why? Because foreign labor is cheap and quality is less of the goal vs. quality. This is Verizon motto, we create more jobs overseas so Americans can stand in unemployment lines!

Advice to Management

USA jobs should be about the US. Hire overseas workers to work overseas.

2. This company Has Been Good To Me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Fernando, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Fernando, CA

I have been working at Verizon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

VZ has some of the best industry standard benefits for management. You receive yearly raises and bonuses based on how well your work group performed the previous year. For the most part management treats you fairly and there is a reasonable work/life balance. If you are on the wireless side of the business you are set since that part of the business is profitable. On the landline side of the business stick with anything FiOS, the rest is dying.

Cons

The last few years VZ is laying off people at an alarming rate and expecting the remaining employees to pick up the work load. It used to be you felt bad for the employees who were let go, now you feel bad to the employees who are left behind. Every little thing is driven by metrics and so much time is used in creating reports, not to mention how many reports you receive in your inbox on a daily basis, there is very little time for coaching and developing.

Advice to Management

On the operations side I think you would be better off training universal techs instead of having core and FiOS techs. I'm sure the core techs are getting antsy since the company keeps saying we cannot and will not support 2 networks. Having universal techs will allow you to allocate dispatches better and retain only the best technicians. On the sales side I strongly feel that you need to rotate your online reps to other positions in the company (live source, FSC) because that job is extremely draining and is hard to manage when burnout sets in. Those employees need opportunity to advance and that clearly is currently not a priority of management.