Verizon

www.verizon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Verizon

Good job at the right time, but limited and rigid career progression

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work / life balance (I was a remote worker throughout my tenure, though that may not be possible with many if not most positions in the company). Competitive pay, but YMMV on initial hire. (I was hired into a senior individual contributor role position).

Cons

Use of internal systems for internal and external customer support are complex and convoluted, with disparate and often duplicate applications being used. This was a result of an assortment of companies being integrated into an already large company. Poor collaboration between teams, though some division / teams may have pockets of excellence. Difficult to mobilize the company because of its bulk.
Expect a VERY long onboarding process.
Pay increases were limited (once a year upon yearly review, manager discretion to provide an increase within a 2-4% range depending on goals attained). This was partly due to a poor structure for the consulting services group in general, with difficult opportunities for project based resources to be fully utilized unless you were assigned to an account with a multi-year engagement. This also affects your bonus incentive pay, and while on paper may seem generous, was difficult to using utilization metrics that were set since you were at the mercy of being assigned billable project work based on the sales pipeline, the adeptness of your managing principal to assign you the work, and to a lesser extent your ability to network with project managers to be requested for additional work.
Training was very limited - There were some good online resources provided, but training budget was non-existent during my tenure there. I was able to attend once conference during my 4 year tenure (a conference I had attended yearly prior to that) and could not get authorization for any classes.
Some internal tools and apps were absolutely archaic (document management was especially horrible scattered between a various web-centered services and flat file shares).

The company itself has a good vision to grow the top line revenues through cloud, security and managed IT services. However, internal structural and collaborative improvements remain a long way off from achieving maturity. Professional Services especially lacks maturity, and needs better investment at the senior executive level to make it a better enablement group for the products in Verizon's portfolio. Presales and post-sales cycles need to be better integrated. Better tools for collaboration need to be in place given the disparate distribution of resources. Need to get start treating the PS organization as a collection of CONSULTANTS and not simply engineers if you truly want effective consulting practices.

2688 Other Employee Reviews for Verizon (View Most Recent)

Best for career growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will get multiple project to work as well as compensation will good at entry level.

Cons

Work life balance will not be there.

The worst company to work for; candidates beware

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is not good reason to work here. If you like to get paid to get abused by ineffective managers, this is a great place to work.

Cons

In my 15 year industry experience few years at Verizon were the worst. I've worked for global organization, mom and pop operations, small and large organizations but Verizon got them all beat, hands down, when it comes to respecting its employees. The management style is "stat of the art" 1945 command and control. Only the ass-kissers get the recognition. If you can't kiss the right ass, you're out. I worked in 3 different department during my 5 years and each one was the worst than the previous. You've been warned!

Management is enjoying the strength of network. They are making money hand over fist because of great network (it really is great by the way) but ineffectiveness in their performance management and accountability are going to catch up to them soon. Not to mention HR, a huge shame on the name of HR. All they think they are good for is paper pushing and its sad they even suck at that.

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon