There are newer employer reviews for Verizon

Good company to work for with my limited experience as a young new hire in IT

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Verizon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a great place in the market & is one of the biggest around. Lots of areas of the business to become involved with to fit your interests as an employee.

Cons

In IT, I see lots of jobs being outsourced & domestic employees who have been working for the company 30+ years being laid off. Makes me uncertain about long-term employment here.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Make alot of friends or you will blend in and be forgotton.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst Accounting in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst Accounting in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Verizon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had the best benefits I have ever seen. They matched 401k 100% up to 12% and had very inexpensive premiums, offer tuition reimbursement, and a yearly bonus based (loosely) on performance.

Cons

They evaluate your compensation based on a Total Rewards package. This means they calculate you benefits into your salary and severely dock your pay. The bonus is supposedly based on your performance, but that is not true. It’s pretty much a popularity contest between you and the other employees. If you are popular, get along with your manager, and fit in with the click, you will do well for yourself regardless of the quality of work performed. They tend to give favoritism towards the “seasoned” employees that have been there longer. It’s the kind of place where you want to make sure you document everything you do that way you can argue your case if need be. If you don’t do these things, you will just blend in and not advance which may be fine for some people. I don’t think they ever fired anyone in the department I was in eventhough there were people who simply did nothing all day. It's a very "know your place" type of atmosphere and I don't think it's possible to advance into management unless you are hired in as one. There were people there 20+ years that did not get promoted when 3 new supervisor positions opened.

As far as the work itself, it was boring telecom work and no one seemed to know what was really going on. Employees only knew their little piece of the pie and wouldn’t take responsibility for anything else. Management was a little more knowledgeable but were basically just acting the part. You really have to be a self-starter and not rely on people give you the answer. Once they find out you are capable of figuring things out on your own, they will dump more and more work on you until you are buried. They redistribute the workload by letting the slackers coast by and dump it on the performers. A lot this has do with favortism and personal relationships but it's pretty sad when you get the same review as the idiot next to you who did absolutely nothing all year.

Advice to Management

Take personal relationships out of the equation. Identify your performers from your slackers (reguardless of tenure) and promote accordingly. Clean house if need be. If someone is underperforming, FIRE THEM. There are a lot of people who would be happy to take their job. Don't just redistribute the workload and let the slackers keep slacking. Your performers will get burnt out and leave (as I did). Promote from the inside and cross train employees so they know how to do more than one thing.

2. Great Company

I worked at Verizon

Pros

Entrepreneurship Spirit great place to work

Cons

Nothing - I wouldn't change a thing

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing - nothin I woudn;t change a thing