Soul Crushing

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Warren, NJ
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Warren, NJ

I worked at Verizon Wireless

Pros

The commute was good and the paychecks were issued promptly. Other than that, there were no factors I would consider "pros".

Cons

Treating contractors (we are not even considered consultants) like dirt is hard wired into VZW's DNA. I've never seen such a corporate culture this dysfunctional. Productive staff were overloaded with more and more work while slackers were allowed to coast. Of course renewal decisions had no bearing on productivity. Managers rose to their positions by virtue of tenure and not merit. There is a very lean management structure which might work in an organization with competent staffers but not one staffed by hacks. Long term managers are known to berate and bully the rank and file with impunity. Even long term well connected contractors throw their weight around. They are attuned to the poor job market and are acting accordingly because they can.

Advice to Management

Fire all the ATT and OTC legacy middle managers and reboot the culture, purging it of ll the anal retentive territorial nonsense. Institute a robust PMO.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. great place to work

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

very flexible time off options and benefits management very understanding and easy to work with sense of family and unity within work group easy to foster and build relationships and network

Cons

job compartmentalization can be repetitive and mundane management may not be knowledgeable about job specifics very subjective performance appraisals overly reliant on hard numbers to determine job performance and employee worthiness

Advice to Management

offer ability of entry level positions to participate more in different projects in order to expand on their knowledge and skills about the business that will aid in career development and progression

2. Terrible Leadership, even worse work/life balance.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Awesome benefits from day 1. Decent job in a recession or for someone without a college degree. Fortunately, the team with whom I work is fun and mostly supportive. In store management is fabulous.

Cons

Hours are terrible. The worst upper management I've ever worked with. Incessant, threatening emails and conference calls. Unreasonable quotas for certain items that are only met by a few, shady employees. Mandatory weekly meetings @7:30 a.m. on a Friday, regardless of your work schedule. "Trainings" (punishment) held @7:30 a.m. on Saturdays, regardless of your work schedule. Quotas are only adjusted in favor of the company, not the employee. For instance, last month, over 3/4th of our employees did not make quota and received warning letters.

Advice to Management

Monitor local leadership. Threats and nagging do not make for happy employees. Useful training and tips do. Please do not send me threatening emails in all caps, seriously, it is disrespectful and you should have learned in Management 101. Please give me work/life balance. Meetings that start @ 7:30 am, when I don't get off until 8:30 p.m. two days in a row consistently make for a not happy and very tired employee.