Great Company but tough on Work Life Balance/Flexibility

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Recruiter in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Comprehensive Benefits Package, 401K Match, Great Employees, Tuition Assistance, Employee Discounts, Opportunity to Advance, Work for an Industry Leader, exciting technology.

Cons

Leadership out of touch with front line employees, frequent changes in leadership. Leadership position does not look appealing; thus, can be seen as a detractor for career growth. No schedule flexibility- alternative schedule options (4 10's, 9:80 work week), work remotely, job sharing, part time option, etc... ,
High performance demands/expectations result in decreased work life balance.
We don't celebrate the wins enough and tend to focus on the loss or "opportunity".
Doesn't always feel like you are working as a team- can be a very "us" vs. "them" mentality, can be viewed as favoritism.
We don't always utilize the technology that we promote.
Over communicate- lots of calls and meetings, not enough execution.

Leaders,
Spend face time with employees (don't just send out an electronic survey, or email). We often have great ideas and suggestions on how to improve the business or processes, and also need your leadership to ensure that we are on track to meet goals. Recognize great work *consistently*. We have some really great team members that we'd like to keep and not lose their talents to the competition.
Enhance our talents with relevant training on the latest tools and technology to perform our jobs. There are a lot of great tools out there, but we don't have a formalized training program within our department. Most of that is for the sales and customer service folks.
Okay, here's the big one... We can't just preach work, life balance but need to be more effective in utilizing this concept. Happy employees are productive employees. Recognize them and they will continue to work hard for you.

Other Reviews for Verizon Wireless

Great Employer with great benefits

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, GA

I worked at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Verizon provides a fast pace environment that allows employees to gain versatile skills that carried from one job to the next. It is ever evolving and allows individual efforts to be recognized. The benefits and bonuses you receive there are the best in industry.

Cons

The hours are very haphazard considering it is retail and sometimes the quotas that are put before you are unrealistic pending on time of year.

Those employees who seek to excel within the company at a fast pace should be recognized and proper mentorship should be put in place. A direct path should be laid out for them and lateral and upward movement should be more readily available.

Stable place to work. Opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Network Technician  in  Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Network Technician in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Discounts on phone service is great.

Cons

Trying to get training can sometimes be very slow.

Listen to the opinions of your workers.

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon Wireless.

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!