Great Benefits & Pay.

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Customer Focus, Pay and Benefits. Tuition reimbursement is excellent. Upper management very open and communicative. great cooperative culture between different departments.

Cons

Promotions not remotely related to performance based on performance, hiring from the outside to fill slots.

Train and promote from within more.

Other Reviews for Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless Has Some Work to Do

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Verizon Wireless is the annual bonus, the tuition assistance program and the above average pay rate. Some other good reasons are the opportunities for advancement, health insurance along with the dependant care expense account and the flexible account, the discount on your wireless service and lots of other discounts with associated partners. For non-exempt employees (in the call center), the opportunity to recieve overtime pay at 1.5x at the 51st hr and 2x at the 60th hr.

Cons

There have been times when I feel like management "pours water in your pocket and tells you it's raining". At times, my intelligence is insulted when I ask questions and receive answers that simply are not entirely forthcoming or I am responded to in a manner intended to get me out of their face. Also, in my location, I feel that Sr Management is not engaged with their jobs but there to collect a paycheck -they don't drive performance, they drive you. The target is always changing so you never know what to focus on everything is a priority. They don't lead by example. It's hard to get them to advocate for you. Because I take pride in my job, I generally perform at my personal best however, I sometimes feel that they are intimidated by their subordinates who are equally capable of doing even their jobs so they either attempt to dismiss your ideas and squash your potential. I am often discouraged. Also, the HR teams do not support supervisors -they are WEAK and ineffectual at best. The Performance Ratings process for bonuses is a JOKE! I have employees that are clearly "developing" according to their performance results but during the review process, I am told to "bump them up" to "performing" which gives a contradictory message --one of being rewarded with a "performing" bonus& rating but the written evaluation according to the numbers and behaviors say the exact opposite. All the while, my peer group is being told that we are "developing" in our ratings. This is a REAL sore spot! The Compliance process is a joke because the same people -in the case of management, whom complaints are lodged against are the same ones who end up "investigating" when it comes back so nothing is ever critically and impartially reviewed, much less, resolved. HR is too scared of litigation; as a result, you work really hard to try to get a poor/non-performer terminated and all you get told is to provide more documentation (or give them a performing rating/bonus! :-o Although supervisors are supposed to be members of management, we're not valued or treated that way AT ALL. We have at times been given erroneous information about things related to exempt employees because they don't we're intelligent enough to research and find out the truth. I feel as if they think because the compensation is above average for this state (SC), they have you over a barrel because once you get used to living up to your wages, it's hard to leave --it's a catch 22 and they know it. Also, having to continuously bid for shifts is insane not to mention packing up your desk. Tenure means nothing and the shift choices get worse every 6 months although your seniority could be increasing. There is little ability to plan your life beyond 6 mos increments. For example, when my seniority was around the 35 mark, I was able to get weekends off for 1 tour. Now, my seniority is in the high teens and in order to get weekends off, I have to work nights. In order to work days, I have to work all Fri-Mon...provides no work/life balance opportunities. Lots of awards and recognition from "Working Mother" magazine but the flexibility Verizon Wireless says it provides can be hard to come by. "Training World" magazine gives top honors for training initiatives however, reps don't get enough classroom training to absorb the more complex technical aspects for new initiatives. They expect all learners to get it through online training modules. Forget management being able to take their trainings at work without compromising something else...
    Whew... this felt good --maybe it's more for me than you but I hope you find some parts of my review helpful --please rate it if you do...

Just because you've "arrived", don't forget about those who have not; help somebody along the way. Groom your lower level managers for the next level and stop being intimidated by their intelligence. Provide feedback after to interviewees after they don't get the position --this is the hardest thing for HR teams to insist their managers do --it's only respectful.... this is getting too long --just re-read my "dislikes".

Decent place to work if you don't mind limited career growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Understanding management towards work & live balance. Reasonable work hours. Average to Above Average total compensation. Structured work environment. Decent overall benefits package.

Cons

Few career advancement opportunities. Limited professional growth opportunities. Tolerance of employees who don't show coworkers respect or common business courtesy/respect. Little to none recognition of employees in non-sales roles.

Be open to change. Consider being more proactive and less reactive. Don't base initiatives around maintaining competitive parity. Take more risks to stay ahead of the game. Be more flexible to do something different and don't stay mired in old mindsets or ways to accomplish things.

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon Wireless.

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!