There are newer employer reviews for Verizon Wireless

Drinking the koolaid

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding company morale, never redundancy in work with an every changing environment

Cons

Retail hours and dealing with the attitudes of the public

reviews filtered by

They really do take care of you, but commissions is getting worse

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great deals on phone plans, great benefits, pay is good for what you do

Cons

long hours, commissions are getting worse, busy work when not busy

Care more for the employees and stop changing commission structure for the worse or all of your good employees will be leaving soon

Definitely not for everybody. I quit after 6 months because I couldn't take it anymore.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Verizon Wireless provides some great benefits. Medical, Dental, Vision...all first class. No complaints about that. Tuition reimbursement is also provided, with no requirement that you commit to stay with the company for any period of time.

Cons

The job is tough. You are expected to handle at minimum 40-50 calls a day from Verizon customers. Half are actually ok, but the other half are clueless about how to use a smartphone, angry about overage or data charges, or want you to spend 20-30 minutes helping them figure out how to download a ringtone, pair their phone with the Bluetooth in their car, or trying to explain why calls drop. Oh, and your success or failure depends on how the customer you just spoke with rated you on a scale of 1 to 10. Anything below an 8 and you can bet you are in trouble. I averaged perfect scores each week, but that wasn't good enough, I was expected to push cell phone upgrades to customers to reach a minimum.

I'm sure the poor experience I had was due to the supervisor. My supervisor was totally obsessed with "Stack Rank". I have a problem with this because in a group of 10, two will automatically be outstanding, four will be average, and the rest will be "not meeting expectations". This fosters an atmosphere where you don't want to help somebody, because that somebody might get ahead of you in the stack rank. I know "six sigma" is all the rage, but it was originally designed for manufacturing companies as a way to reduce defects. It was never intended to be applied to people.

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon Wireless