There are newer employer reviews for Verizon Wireless

Outstanding

Current Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Rochester, NY
Current Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Career progression, great networking, leadership that cares.

This is the best job I have ever had, and the amount that this company cares about it's employees is outstanding!

I was hired in September of 2011 as a customer service representative. I said that within a year, I will be a technical support coordinator. Within 8 months, I was a member of a team that acted as a point of contact while a supervisor was otherwise engaged. After 9 months, I was a senior representative, and within 10 months I had applied and was accepted into the technical support coordinator position.

As long as you set a goal for yourself, this company is the best company to work for. They will assist you with any training or assistance you need in order to get to the level you wish to be at.

Cons

Escalated customers can be very opinionated, but a level head will get you through any situation.

reviews filtered by

Stressful, too much politics, and unrealistic expectations.

Current Contractor - Programmer Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Contractor - Programmer Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

- Great people work at VZW
    - New technologies, lots of projects and constant workflow
    - Telecommuting is available
    - Somewhat flexible hours

Cons

- Stressful
    - Everything is politics, if you want help then you have to go through the proper channels. Even when you try to do that you get discouraged because everyone is too busy to help you. You have to CC your manager to get anything done. The chain of command is ridiculous. If a junior needs to get into contact with a senior level member, then good luck on that.
    - They segregate the contractors from the employees. (Done in a lot of places)
    - You're expected to work overtime and not get payed. I was told to only do overtime if approved by the manager, but no matter how many times I ask him, he either ignores my question or changes the subject. The next day, if you don't do the overtime, he'll ask why you didn't get the job done.
    - Contractors are treated on an even lower level than juniors. I take orders from a junior who knows much less about what he's doing.
    - The seniors here are just stupid half the time. I constantly have to help them, do the work for them, or actually explain coding practices that are basic knowledge.
    - Even if your team earns a reward for all the hard work done, the manager only takes out the full time employees as a reward/celebration.
    - No matter how much quality work you contribute, you're still treated less than the members who contribute sloppy, poor, or just barely working code.
    - I asked to be hired and was told that I had to meet expectations that none of the other team members were even remotely close to meeting, including seniors.
    - You can only work from home as a contractor if you have a "special reason", full time employees can work from home whenever they want.
    - You ask for time off and your constantly asked to push it further and further back because it conflicts with another member, however when you push it and a full time member decides to leave the same time you did later, you're asked to push it back even further.

Get more organized! This is the worst management I have ever seen. Also, treat your employees better, they're people not puppets that you can use and abuse to make your stats look good.
    There's almost no incentive to do anything at this job, people produce bad work, and people who don't deserve to be senior's become senior's. You could easily fix this by better scrutinizing, better teamwork, and better organization. Stop rushing everything and slow down a bit and you'll produce better, stable code and have happier employees.

In-store Customer Care Rep

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits..Opportunities to meet and speak with upper level corporate employees on many different occasions..gives opportunity to "get your foot in the door"

Cons

It is retail so I completely understand the hours, but personal life is not an option to store management. If your schedule says a certain time to work...the leaving time is just an estimate. very rarely management will allow you to leave when you are scheduled to without some type of negative comment.

Store management needs to be more up front with their employees. Managers tend to over exaggerate their extent of power in the store and try to "bully" some of their employees. Most of all...when it is a busy day and your CCR's are working with a customer, don't come by every few minutes just to make sure you are establishing your management skills...please let them do their job so they can move on to the next.

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon Wireless