There are newer employer reviews for Verizon Wireless

Great company to work for! High demands expected from individuals for salary payout.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, and available work locations.

Cons

Difficult to progress towards career path. Advice . . . . create promoters!. Have as much individuals in the organization know your work ethics and your name in a positive way. Don’t stay in the same position for a long period of time.

Advice to Management

Do not only promote the “TOP DOG” sales performer, look for the complete all around individual. The “Top Dog” sometimes sacrifice work ethics to get promoted.

Other Employee Reviews for Verizon Wireless

1. Fast paced and full of opportunity.

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and opportunities for bonuses. Competitive salaries. Unlimited growth potential.

Cons

A heavy reliance on mottos and mantras, with a push to subscribe to group-think. Lots of red-tape and bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Ensure that employees are treated as people and not resources.

I have learned much about ambition and greed and to never trust an employer.

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discounts on mobile plans and accessories. The last few years have been the most profitable in the companies history. 401k match up to 6%

Cons

Verizon Wireless has been taking away most of its benefits during the last year. Health benefits with Verizon Wireless were especially good. In the past year however, it has gone from great to the worst of any company I have worked for. Verizon Wireless, at one time, was a company focused on customer service and rewarding it's employees with great benefits, bonuses and a decent wage. Sales reps have lost around $20,000 a year because Verizon has changed the structure of commissions, to be on the side of the company, not the reps or the customers. The company has created more fees (which some are under government scrutiny due to their questionable legality) then any other company in the field. We are taught to avoid conversations about fees that customers bring up. Verizon also has "fixed" the taxes in three states so the company can profit from them. (Also under legal scrutiny) Anyone in the retail division that is salaried, is no longer getting anything but "cost if living" increases. Which they call raises. Any new employees start with a base several thousand less then an employee that started even one year previously. Employees that make the company a lot of money are allowed to openly mislead customers. Even if the customers bring complaints to the manager, said employee will not even be talked to about the situation. I have seen employees assault their co-workers but not get in any kind of trouble. However, if someone is not especially profitable to the company, no matter how hard they work or give astounding customer service, will be fired if their manager has any sort of problem with them. This behavior is encouraged from the top down. There are currently several lawsuits against Verizon from current and past employees. I have also seen employees with medical problems abused regularly. A co-worker was fired for changing a customers plan which caused the customer overages. It was the wrong plan but mistakes like this happen fairly often but had never been a reason to terminate an employee. The employee just happened to be on medical leave, for a few weeks, right before this happened...there are plans for a lawsuit there too. There is a strong union for Verizon Communications, who owns a large stake in Verizon Wireless. However, Verizon Wireless closed an entire store in the Midwest for attempting to start a union for our company. (Also highly illegal) I am not one disgruntled employee. Almost every employee I work with, is openly looking for other employment. Including some retail managers. I have worked for Verizon Wireless many years. Due to timing, I do make a decent amount for somebody in my position. However, the cost of health insurance now, is unsustainable. There are literally hundreds of perks and benefits we had only a year ago but have lost over half in as much time. We hear of more being lost on almost a daily basis. If you are able to get a job outside of the retail division, you will be treated well and make good money. This division however, has become nightmare to work in. There are many good reviews for Verizon but most of them are over a year old. The company became so greedy virtually over night, that it is losing employees and customers faster then ever before.

Advice to Management

Stop trampling on employees rights and benefits. Respect our countries employment laws. We work for a business and businesses are in it to make money but we have crossed the line and have become too greedy. You are losing employees, customers and the respect of most people touched by Verizon Wireless. The heads of Verizon Wireless are going to drive this, once good company, into the ground because of their ambitions and greed.