Human Resources, not the CEO is running Verizon Wireless

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Verizon Wireless

Pros

The pay and benefits are wireless industry leading. There is room for lateral job changes and a great relocation package if promoted.

Cons

There is absolutely zero alignment with director or above leadership with human resource consultants. Human resource consultants work in "clicks" all across the country. They discriminate against potential employees and "cherry pick" resumes and applications for positions. HR policies are interpreted differently in each region. It is pathetic that the United States job market is being controlled by a bunch of bitter HR representatives. No wonder our unemployment rate is as high as it is. HR representatives should be laid off just as much as front line employees however this is not the case. District managers work with directors to "manage out" employees by assigning them to "no win" situations and document everything. At Verizon Wireless, you are ONLY as good as the store you are assigned to. If you take the top store managers and put them in the lowest performing stores, they will become the lowest performing managers no matter what changes they implement. The pushback is actually from upper management because Verizon Wireless doesn't promote change, they just say they do and in reality flip employees constantly. If you don't believe me, ask any store manager how long they have been at their current store? Chances are they are stuck because if they even mention that they want another opportunity or seek promotions, they will be discarded as "risk" employees who aren't dedicated to their current position and WILL be in most cases managed out.

Advice to Management

When an employee is leading for several years with the company and put in a NO WIN situation and tries to save their career, they are managed out. This was the same practice of several retail companies including Circuit City. Look where they are now... I look forward to celebrating AT&T's continued performance as VZW replaces their employees with Alltel representatives and destroys the long lived culture that Denny Strigl created.

reviews filtered by

VZW, Good Company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

The job itself is not to bad, your middle of the management road so you get to miss alot of the heavy Corporate BS, however are still held responsible for many in store issues. Overall a good position and you can gain a lot of experience.

Cons

Levels of micro managing have increased greatly over the years, it becomes increasingly difficult to do your job, most of your time is spent filling in forms and checking a lot of boxes verifying your reps did an activity someone with a much larger salary feels is important.

Advice to Management

Let people in the stores do what they do, let us sell our products and services, not file forms and micromanage our sales people to the point of robots.

2. Cellco

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

They really take care of you as an employee. Whether its accomodations, pay, benefits or respect they have it all. There is so much opportunity for promotions and growth, as an employee.

Cons

Occasionally I've seen some weak disciplinary action towards lazy or little motivated employees. Other than that it's a wonderful company.

Advice to Management

Overall I find the training and experience required is great for the positions. You have to be not only well qualified but do great in your interview. I think this is great for weeding out the ones who don't belong.