Verizon Wireless
3.3 of 5 2,617 reviews
www.verizonwireless.com Basking Ridge, NJ 5000+ Employees

Great Money and Benefits, but Verizon is changing that!

Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

ProsPay, Benefits, some of the people

ConsYou live in a grey world at Verizon. There is no black and white. You find yourself questioning your integrity. Verizon has in recent years been pushing sales people to the point of termination if they don't push products and services people may not need. If you are a great salesperson who blows out your quota, sells tons of accessories and high ARPU devices, and you lack integrity, you will go far at Verizon. If you have a conscience, you will have a hard time. Verizon was a great place to work and make a decent living. That is changing fast. They make commission structure intentionally confusing. Everything from 401(k), health benefits, and general benefits are being scaled back all the time. If you want somewhere to make some fast money, Verizon is the place for you. If you are building a long term, meaningful career, good luck unless you drink their kool aid and push hard for getting people to buy tons of accessories with every phone you sell, get them to buy Mobile Broadband devices and Tablets, and get them on Verizon Edge program. I have seen some of the shadiest sales people who get away with anything, but you have to be a top performer. Woe is you if you are shady and still don't meet quota. Your days will be numbered.

I will forever be grateful for the time spent and money made at Verizon. It catapulted me into the middle class and changed my lifestyle forever. For that, I will always be grateful. I only wished Verizon would not go the way of every other company I am aware of. Prior to working at Verizon, I did not agree with a lot of what unions do. I always thought they did more harm than good. Now I see why unions are important and have a rightful place in society. Some areas of the country are unionized. I live in Tennessee where this is not an option. Companies left to themselves will eventually do exactly what Verizon is. Subtle decreases in pay and benefits that add up to big decreases in your pay overtime.

Also, in the end Verizon could care less if you get fired or leave unless you are a very high selling performer. There are tons of people out of work looking to make $30-80k and Verizon will have no problem replacing you.

I have always said that if I ever worked for a company and they were doing poorly, I would not mind a pay cut to help the company get ahead. With Verizon, this past year was their most profitable in the company's history. How does Verizon thank us? Decrease in commission payouts, scale back on benefits, and tougher expectations and quotas.

Verizon will not change because they don't have to. In an economy that is sluggish, companies can use this to their advantage and they will! You can speak your mind at Verizon, but it will go in one ear and right out the other.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany store managers and assistant managers are new to management and may have Verizon knowledge, but not leadership skills. Leadership is tricky and it takes hard work. Just because someone is a good salesman/woman, that doesn't mean they will be good managers. Managers should do everything they can to ensure that one of their sales staff does not get on the Performance Improvement Program (PIP). If you ever get "PIPed," you usually don't know until it happens with no warning. To put this in perspective, 3 "PIP's" are your gone.

Takes care of you, but at a price.

Assistant Retail Operations (Former Employee)
    Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great Benefits, Salary, and Perks. Great product. Cons: Crazy retail environment. Angry customers, with little support from management. If you start out with the company, they usually start in retail, and… Advice to Senior Management: Support your retail staff. It is the main heartbeat of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Started great has steadily declined

BAE (Current Employee)

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good pay & benefits, Great industry. Cons: Ridiculous sales quotas. Too many KPI's. Get placed on a… Advice to Senior Management: You raised our quotas in order not to pay us large commissions & I can accept… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Verizon Wireless.

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!

Verizon Wireless – Why Work for Us?

Verizon Wireless is....YOU. Our customers. Our suppliers. The communities we serve. Our employees. We are a company that is truly a reflection of the world around us: diverse, high-energy, inquisitive, moving forward… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verizon Wireless reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Verizon Wireless CEO Daniel Mead. All reviews posted anonymously by Verizon Wireless employees.