There are newer employer reviews for Verizon Wireless

Great Benefits But Integrity Is In A Downward Spiral ... Watch Your Back!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Overall, I would say that Verizon Wireless is a good company to work for considering the phenomenal benefits. They have many programs that are unheard of by other companies like backup child care, tuition assistance (NOT rembursement which requires you to pay up front and you don't have to stay with the company afterwards!), and even adoption assistance just to name a few. The pay is much better than what some outsiders would assume, the best in the industry in fact, but not as good as it used to be since they've changed the commission structure due to the economy change - but what company hasn't?!

Cons

1. Company sets IMPOSSIBLE goals for their employees. If you work in a high volume store like I do, then you'll quickly learn that the better your store does, the worst your paychecks will be. They repay your hard work and earning upper management HUGE bonuses by raising the sales goals so high that it is impossible to earn the larger sized checks you expect - unless you hop around to slower stores where you get a bigger paycheck for less work (Ridiculous!)

2. The Washington/Baltimore/Virginia region is extremely shady at times. This region works by its own more restrictive rules and if you don't know your rights, you will get screwed. The employee handbook should be your bible and dont be afraid to go to the main headquarters in NJ to get backup if necessary! Also, since there is no union, Verizon Wireless takes full advantage and have gotten away with doing illegal things like changing the attendance policy without notifying their employees as a means of power managing people out of positions. It's only a matter of time before a class action suit will be filed against them I'm sorry to say.

3. Promotions are based on who is friends with who and not necessarily who has earned it. Some people are managers who know absolutely NOTHING about the jobs of the people they manage. This makes it extremely frustrating when you rely on upper management for assistance and they are far less knowledgeable than you. Also, you will find that certain employees seem to get away with bloody murder and get special treatment or privileges just because they're chummy with upper management. This even filters down to decisions about who gets "power managed" out of the company.

4. Verizon made some bad decisions last year and its come back to bite them on the butt. While their compeitors were PROACTIVE to the economy (reducing price plans), Verizon chose to be REACTIVE, only restructuring unlimited and pre paid pricing after their revenue took a nose dive. So how do they REACT to slumping numbers? Not by going back to the drawing board to correct THEIR mistakes, but by giving their LOYAL employees the axe. Not only that, they go about it in a shady way (refer to #3). They even went as far as giving the unlucky few negative evaluations based on information that they cannot backup with any paperwork. For example, claiming that a customer service rep is not producing solid sales numbers when A) customer service reps were not responsibile for any type quota until they suddenly changed our job title & responsibilities without any notification prior to the evaluation B) there is no paperwork or documentation that can support this claim since customer service reps use one major house account to perform all transactions and not on an individual basis like a sales rep, and C) MANAGERS give undesireable transactions to customer service reps to avoid hurting sales reps numbers, thus damaging the house account numbers on which the evaluation was based.

Good employees are now working twice as hard as their counterparts to save a job that is virtually impossible to save, not based on actual performance, but on who is friends with who so Verizon can save money on severance pay. In the meantime, we are expected to work our butts off for a company that will eventually tell us to bend over and take it (for a lack of a better expression).

This may seem like the ranting of an angry employee, but I am not angry. I have gained alot of work experience that have helped shaped my skills. Unfortunately for Verizon Wireless, those talents will benefit another company. Despite the issues I've mentioned, I still believe that Verizon Wireless is one of the better companies to work for but they are making bad decisions that are causing them to go in a downward spiral. If Verizon keeps going in this direction, they will continue to lose money, as well as the valuable employees that made the company so great to begin with. Treat your employees with respect and not the bottom of your shoe. We make you alot of money so stop threatening us and actually show your appreciation for accomplishments like you used to! You have given us more demands with less gratification to go with it! People who feel valued will work harder for you than employees that feel beaten down. Also, when making company decisions, get off your high horse and get input from the people who actually KNOW what's going on - the employees that actually are carrying out the decisions! You slow down your own progress by being out of touch with the customer facing employees and its starting to hit Verizon Wireless in the piggy bank!

2901 Other Employee Reviews for Verizon Wireless (View Most Recent)

If you like a lot of stress, work here

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Benefits, yearly bonus, discounted cell phone plan

Cons

I don't know where to start. The commission gets worse every month. They will take money out of your commission check if you discount phones for customers, or if you have too many phones returned. Their policies are not employee centric at all. Mandatory six day work weeks are the norm during certain times of the year. There is no work/life balance at all. Micromanagement is constant from all levels. It is the most stressful place I have ever worked.

Be more in touch with your front line employees. Things look great on paper but affect people's lives and paychecks in a serious manner.

Verizon Wireless, BE NICE!

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I worked at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Solid company. Benefits are great. Good product to sell. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Made around $70K/ yr. Commission restructured. Now closer to $40K/yr. Quite a pay cut from an extremely profitable company!
    Company preaches Selling With Integrity but if you're not adding data packages to little old ladys' accounts, you are reprimanded or even fired. VERY shady. If a customer upgrades to a new phone that uses the same car charger and headset as the old phone, you are encouraged to sell them a new car charger and headset. I could go on and on....

Remember a happy employee is a productive employee. I think it may be better to ENCOURAGE employees instead of THREATENING employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon Wireless

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!