Vermont Teddy Bear

www.vermontteddybear.com
There are newer employer reviews for Vermont Teddy Bear

Love my job at VTB!

I have been working at Vermont Teddy Bear

Pros

The people are nice to each other here. I like feeling part of a company that brings happiness to the many visitors to the factory during the summer. BBQs, Bake-offs and Bocce Ball. I love it. The benefits package is standard but they do go the extra mile providing gym membership, free passes to a lot of stuff, good discounts for other Vermont companies and occasional give-aways. I think the politics is pretty minimal too.

Cons

We have been hit by the recession and the slow-down in retail because of it. So people had to be laid off and so good people are gone.

Thank you for making announcements about changes happening here.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Vermont Teddy Bear (View Most Recent)

Enthusiastic people, but overworked and without overall direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelburne, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelburne, VT

I have been working at Vermont Teddy Bear part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seasonal call center employees receive paid training and benefit from at least 2 or 3 people on the floor who can answer questions, no matter how trivial you think they are. Floor leads and managers are overall approachable and helpful with questions, though they're frantically busy, especially during peak.

As of December, 2014, employees including seasonal ones can take advantage of a surprisingly large employee discount on everything the company sells except coffee.

Cons

Seasonal call center employees' pay has started at $10.00 an hour for years now, apparently. Sure, this is above state minimum wage, but it's still not that much, even compared to other data entry or call center jobs in the vicinity.

In more general terms, I don't think the company knows where it's going. Its revenue depends largely on sales during Christmas, Valentine's and Mother's Day [it's mostly bears and pajamas, after all!], so it's all hands on deck, with everyone working late and running around frenetically during this peak period, with a two-month "black-out" period from October through end of December where core employees [i.e., non-seasonals] have difficulty taking time off. Then, for the rest of the year, everything is much quieter. Factory tours and the Bear Shop bring in a much smaller stream of money, and the company hasn't really figured out how to diversify its offerings or somehow generate more consistent sales throughout the year. This leads to a lopsided, sort of panicky feeling to the whole organization.

Though it trumpets perks like bocce tournaments and picnics, I get the sense too the company doesn't really know how to truly reward, support and promote its employees. Free bears to employees of the month are great, but the company needs to focus on training and development to. They don't seem to have a dedicated corporate trainer, which I find odd, especially since they have high numbers of seasonal employees every single year. If it's going to get out of its reactive mode, the company really needs to invest in its employees.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Developer in Shelburne, VT
    Former Employee - Developer in Shelburne, VT

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work life balance, awesome people

Cons

The coding is not cutting edge technology

There are newer employer reviews for Vermont Teddy Bear