There are newer employer reviews for Vertafore

Love the people more than any other job I've ever had. Have zero faith in upper management.

Current Employee - Computer Worker in Conyers, GA
Current Employee - Computer Worker in Conyers, GA

Pros

The culture in the Conyers office is the best that I've ever encountered in a company. The employees here behave more like a family and less like co-workers. We get great benefits and the office is constantly throwing parties and other fun things for us to recognize that we value each other. We don't get a ton of kudos from corporate so we find ways to recognize ourselves within the office. They office buys us lunch every Friday and we use that time to keep our culture family-feeling and to do fun things with each other. You won't find a better place to work from a culture standpoint. Even with our faults as a large company I recommend our company as a place to work all of the time. I can't speak for other offices within the company in other states. If you are looking for a job in the Atlanta area I'd HIGHLY recommend you give us a peek.

Cons

The salaries are middle-of-the-road here. They facilitate this by setting unachievable goals for the company as a whole and tying our salaries to those goals so that it always look like we are middle-of-the-road in performance. Managers are told by the corporate HQ in Bothell that they can't award good reviews for their people so our compensation and review process is a joke. We have lost a few key folks because of this but I'm surprised to find some of them coming back after they find out that money isn't everything and the people here make for a great place to work. The leadership in Bothell knew that the bad market had the employees in a bad spot and they took advantage of that. The job market in Atlanta is coming around and we are starting to see people go seek higher wages elsewhere but it is often at their own peril. We're seeing many people come back to us after leaving. I have very little faith in the upper-tier leadership here. Decisions are heavily driven from the corporate HQ in Bothell and I'm not convinced they have a thorough grasp on leading a multi-state company like Vertafore. They aren't able to speak to their visions for the future in any way that our clients and employees understand or agree with. They rely on the fact that we are the largest player in our space to keep us afloat but lately smaller and hungrier competitors are beating us in sales and the top leadership haven't reacted quick enough to those threats. They talk publicly to us about blunting those threats but specific plans on "how" never materialize. They seem to thrive on changing leaders at the top and trying to gloss over the changes with stereotypical Mission Statement update junk and corporate-speak. I firmly believe that if they solved the problems at the top then this company would be the ultimate place to work. Until then we will continue to be a great place to work because the ground-level people keep it that way but with uninspiring leadership from the top.

Advice to Management

Come up with a plan that resonates with our customers and our employees. Stop the needless shuffling of people at the top. Quickly address compensation issues or risk losing key talent as the job market improves.

Other Employee Reviews for Vertafore

A good place to work if you adore Scrum and embrace frequent changes.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Bothell, WA

Pros

* Some managers are definitely okay * Foosball, table-tennis * Free pop and juices

Cons

* High-level management layoffs * Change in direction from time to time

Advice to Management

Slow down the pace of change and the layoffs. People really get unsettled when this happens.

Great place to work... mostly...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Pros

-Compensation for carpooling, busing, or any non-single-occupant-vehicle commuting (not just a flex spending--actual money added to your paycheck) -Compensation for personal cell-phone usage (for traveling employees) -Lack of training was mentioned by others, I found it quite comprehensive for my department (training was also paid) -I found my salary quite competitive -Mostly laid back atmosphere--depending on your department, jeans and even shorts are common. Even the most "stuffy" departments usually only require slacks and a nice shirt (no ties/jackets required) -Friendly coworkers pretty much everywhere

Cons

-Previous comments about the stinginess of raises are absolutely accurate. Despite record sales year after year, merit increases are consistently denied. -Upper management seems largely schizophrenic--they just can't seem to decide on something so they'll restructure (this does not ALWAYS mean layoffs), move people around... it's like if they can't figure out how to fix the problem, maybe a new organizational tree will help. This happens surprisingly frequently. -Expectations are set *very* high. Part of the way they get away with denying merit increases is to set fantastically high goals and then when they aren't met (despite a record setting year), they can still say, "Well we didn't meet our goals for the year..."

Advice to Management

-The constant personnel shuffle (both at the top as well as throughout the company) is unsettling and confusing. Especially when they're accompanied with lengthy e-mails about how "Yes we're changing, but everything's ok! Don't panic! No seriously! It's ok! Really!" When you go on so much about how everything is ok--it pretty much tells us that everything isn't. -When the company is having record sales years, it's NOT ok to deny merit increases for the people who are busting their butts to make those sales happen. You set unrealistic goals in a down economy--that's on you and your projections--not us.