There are newer employer reviews for Vertafore

A great company, depending on what group you're in, with a changing feel.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Vacation/PTO time is generous. Big plus. - Great location, close to 405, away from the typical tech city sprawl of Bellevue and Seattle, and nearby nature trails are beautiful and refreshing. - Insurance is an ample, long term business - Company uses a mix of newish technolgy, and is upgrading to newer tech.

Cons

- Offshoring is replacing almost everything. It's becoming depressing. - Significant salary raises are very difficult to attain. - Since the current push is to combine the company's large portfolio of products into a single, complicated product, jobs are being consolidated. In recent years, many offices have been shuttered. The HQ in Bothell is safe, but the strategy is to cut and reduce. - Having to deal with old standards and old products which are very inflexible. It can be tedious to deal with.

Advice to Management

Not so much advice, as a commentary. Management is a revolving door here. Direction changes a lot, and I feel it's largely disconnected from the actual work. Many times, I've thought, "Who knows what we'll do this year." I think they would benefit trimming upper management, as there are way too many "VP" titles.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A Mix of old and new software and practices

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In my former time at Vertafore prior to 2010, I enjoyed the positive team environment. This company goes way back to the 70's, and that is reflected in the products and the team, although the past fades with each year and management change. The long time staff reflect the friendly family feel of the place as it used to be. The company modernized their development process in the last few years to their credit.

Cons

Management no longer has its roots in that older family oriented company culture and doesn't even comprehend it let alone value it. The products have been re-written and modernized., but even so some developer jobs are more about maintenance than feature development, so there is a risk of getting stuck dealing with that and not learning and growing as a developer.

Advice to Management

Be aware that long time employees are the brain trust, and newer hires (anybody with less than 5-10 years in that context) probably don't really understand many of the business reasons behind historical development decisions. I saw management discard people who should have been given 'brain trust' emeritus status instead. That's the path to a shallow understanding of the domain knowledge of insurance agency management.

Improving work environment and culture.

Current Employee - Conyers Employee in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Conyers Employee in Conyers, GA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the last 6 months I've seena turn around here. I had left a very negative review earlier and am happy to report that many of the reasons I had concerns about, they are fixing or have already fixed. The company is reinvesting in places that it had wilt away and employees are no longer heading for the door. We are actually adding headcount in many departments and investing in the future of groups that were worried they were on the chopping block. Morale is up and the future looks good for the comapny as a whole. The company Sales has been at 147% of goal so one of our biggest problems right now is that we can't deploy our software fast enough to keep up with sales. It is a good problem to have.

Cons

There is still quite a bit of ambiguity on how to deal with our carrier market, which are some of our largest custoemrs. The company seemed to have felt that we were already strong there so we'd just ignore them for a few year and focus our attention on the smaller shops. This left products that cater to our bigger clients with uncertain futures. The new leadership seems to recognize that "not having a strategy for carriers" isnt going to cut it and they are workign to remedy that. We just don't know what that will look like since we haven't had any updates. I am cautiously optimistic. The old leadership seemed focused on one or two elements of the company where our new leadership seems to grasp that we have clients at all levels of the industy and their money counts to our bottom line as well. They are looking at as more like a large company with multiple revenuie streams instead of a couple of profit centers and "everything else".

Advice to Management

Deliver on your promises. I think that our new leaders have stated where they think our future is headed. Just deliver on your promises and continue to deliver on our future.