Vertex Pharmaceuticals

There are newer employer reviews for Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Vertex Pharma

Current Employee - Drug Development Director in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Drug Development Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depth of pipeline in development; commitment to developing only drugs that are life-changing for patients; location; company commitment to remain innovative within the confines of GXP, despite growth or corporate size.

Cons

We work long, hard hours, but what biophama company doesn't? The company does actively promote that employees maintain a work-life balance. A more formal WFH policy would be great to have most due to such at our competitors.

Keep doing what you are doing.

104 Other Employee Reviews for Vertex Pharmaceuticals (View Most Recent)

It was great

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Cons

Nothing was a challenge. It was a great place to work. The best thing was the way the company was efficiently ran. The best place ever.

Time to Clean out the Middle Managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, vacation time and one off perks! Great coworkers and an opportunity to have an impact on life threatening diseases. Lots of learning and resume building opportunity that you don't necessarily get at other companies (how many other companies in the area have successfully brought drugs to the market in the past 5 years, let alone multiple drugs?).

Cons

Current culture is very different even from a few years ago. Middle managers (department heads especially) have adopted a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. Bad behavior is rampant in many forms - screaming and yelling at meetings, temper tantrums in the office and gossiping with direct reports. There also seems to be a lack of opportunity for promotion for those in the lower / entry level positions.

Pay attention to what your managers are doing and follow up. Don't just assume things are running along smoothly. Its those departments that have a lack of oversight that are running wild and ruining the culture and individual department morale.

There are newer employer reviews for Vertex Pharmaceuticals