There are newer employer reviews for Vertical Screen

Dishonesty is their company policy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warminster, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warminster, PA

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health benefits, nice building, and for me personally it was a short commute.

Cons

Never have I been as outright LIED to as at Vertical Screen. They will not keep their promises nor even attempt to remember anything. All the blame falls on the employees when management is disorganized.

Also, they try to micromanage everyone but are far too disorganized to do so! This creates a passive aggressive atmosphere which lead to my leaving. I cannot stand when people will not come out and tell you what they want, but expect to play these games when you work here. No one will outright ask you to do anything, so you think everything is fine, but they will talk about you behind your back. There are also things called error alerts which are somewhat embarrassing and stand only to shame you into 'working harder'. I think any issues you have with your work should remain between you and your supervisor, not the whole department! Also, the amount of mandatory overtime they want you to work is insane. Some people worked close to 60 hours a week.

For the grief I got, the petty paycheck was not worth it.

Advice to Management

Be honest. It might seem hard now, but honesty is always the best policy.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A very strange and unpleasant company

Former Employee - Public Records Researcher in Warminster, PA
    Former Employee - Public Records Researcher in Warminster, PA

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health care, green, VERY friendly and nice cafe right across the street

Cons

This company does not operate like a normal company, which is unfortunate because it was my first real job. I spent the first few months wondering if it was normal to be carelessly "trained" for a few hours here and there then dumped into a desk and expected to "work". Only "working" is manually searching through and recording case after case and often making phone calls that serve NO purpose other than to say you "did it". For instance, we had a "do not call" list but were instructed to ignore if a number was listed there in the event that a clerk "gave an answer anyway".

You will be rewarded the exact same if you work poorly or well. That is to say, you will be constantly reminded about "production" and "quality". Managers won't talk to you in person to address problems; instead they will email you to reprimand you and continue to try to be pals with you in the five minutes a week they acknowledge your presence. They strongly discourage interaction with other people and any chit-chat, and you will be formally reminded (via email) if you are spending too much time socializing. The only time you will get a thank you for anything is through email or a catered lunch set on days like July 5th where they serve you hot dogs.

They don't train well, yet complain when there are too many old cases sitting in the queue. That's because most people know how to do them, yet the same emails will come about production and numbers needed to make goal. Then, if you attempt to do the work and help and happen to make a mistake, you will be punished with an "error" that serves as a public track record of your screw ups and is sent out to all of the supervisors and recorded on the Intranet.

You are also required to work 8 hours a month on a Saturday or Sunday of overtime. It is a REQUIRED 8 hours overtime. You cannot do this overtime on a weekday without special permission. Why? I don't know.

And did I mention it is sub zero temperatures in there? Seriously, it's a nightmare. I was constantly uncomfortable, and I am 90% sure they keep it that cold to keep people awake.

Advice to Management

Actually attempt to care about your employees as people, get managers who can personally interact with their employees and act like they care, better pay and incentives, a long term strategy past weekly goals

Don't board this sinking ship

Former Employee - PR Researcher in Warminster, PA
    Former Employee - PR Researcher in Warminster, PA

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, and for me location - short commute.

Cons

Where to begin...the overall atmosphere is contentious, upper management sets the tone. There is no loyalty to dedicated, long-term employees, no opportunity for advancement. The COO is a micromanager who undermines management and creates a restrictive, unproductive work environment. They do not understand the importance of balancing work with family life, as demands on time are increased without compensation. I believe this company is going down as they continue to hire people at lower wages, who do stay long with the company. Every department is understaffed, and the increased turnover results in lack of training. This does not slow sales, increasing pressure on current staff, again without suitable compensation.

Advice to Management

Acquire training in how to manage people, start at the top of your organization. Consider hiring a HR Recruitment professional to reorganize hiring practices and bring some morale to the employees that do stay.