VerticalResponse

www.verticalresponse.com
  www.verticalresponse.com
There are newer employer reviews for VerticalResponse

My favorite job and favorite employer. Ever.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time

Pros

#1 reason to work at VerticalResponse: the culture. VR has a ridiculous knack for hiring hard-working, smart, interesting, friendly people, and as an organization it goes out of its way to foster a cooperative and fun atmosphere. People at VR are generally friends, and we actually spend time together socially outside of work. A lot.

Also, VR has a solid record of encouraging its employees to develop their careers, and as a result a fairly high number of employees are promoted to new positions and departments. I think that's also a reflection of a general openness to change; I've seen entire departments restructured when needed (with good results), and a pro-active dialog between the senior management and the entire company to find possibilities for improvement.

Cons

Like any company, VR has its share of headaches. However, the senior management has also been able to take constructive criticism from the employees and make some fairly significant changes to improve things for everyone. The bottom line is that I've seen a lot of positive and negative aspects in my time at VR, but I still look forward to coming to work every day.

Keep your open-door policy, and keep encouraging direct feedback from everyone.

28 Other Employee Reviews for VerticalResponse (View Most Recent)

Work Hard, Play Hard and Love What You Do

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a hard worker who wants to actively contribute and works well independently, you'll be right at home at VerticalResponse.

VR is full of talented folks who share a common goal of working hard and having a good time while doing so. Goals are given and you are able to chart your course to get the results, not given the game plan and told to go execute. Therefore, if you are deadline driven and know how to get the job done or are willing to put in the leg work to learn, you will thrive here.

Managers work with their teams and hold weekly 1:1's to check in on progress, but otherwise let their direct reports have autonomy to get the job done. Reviews are done quarterly to provide frequent progress reports/check in's and allow for feedback and developmental conversations. Employees are also invested in with offsite trainings and conferences depending on their job role/functions.

On the play hard side, VR often holds employee appreciation lunches, has weekly happy hours, fruit and bagel deliveries and really fun quarterly department hosted happy hours too. These are great times to kick back, tip a glass (or two) and enjoy mingling with the leadership team and your coworkers. And, if you've got a gripe, you are encouraged and able to talk to your supervisor, HR or even the CEO. Her door is open as are other Execs in the company and they will listen. VR offers the rare mix of great work/life balance. For real.

Cons

Like any tech company there are the inevitable delays when it comes to product launches or releases. You learn to roll with the punches and champion your tickets and things do get done. And, like any company ,you get some complacent folks who get a bit too comfortable in their roles and don't always take deadlines and deliverables seriously which makes it tough on people who have dependencies on things that are interrelated.

You have a vision - push hard and stick with it. Keep listening to, and valuing hard working, contributing employees. Hold people accountable and be consistent with goals and expectations.

Couldn't ask for more.

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A VP of Eng that _makes sense_
    profitable business model (hey if you want to hunt for a job every 24 months when VC money runs out be my guest!)
    Department heads that listen to suggestions and either act on them or tell you why they were ruled out
    The company really does set you up to be successful, I have never seen a company for real promote from within like VR. They will ink that deal people!
    Good office location, good food, jovial enviornment, quarterly chair massages, the list really does go on
    The company is very nice to non-profits, in turn they help good causes to get their message out and take action!
    You will be busy, if you do well with loads going on, this is a good place for you!
    The company is also very charitable and will match employee donations.

Cons

The space is competitive, so expect to hear news about the other guy in your space every now and again
    There's loads going on, if you need to chillax at your desk for a good chunk of time each day... rethink it.

I have rarely said this... our management is great!

There are newer employer reviews for VerticalResponse