Veterans Canteen Service

Unclaimed Profile

Know your Job

Current Employee - Assistant Chief
Current Employee - Assistant Chief

I have been working at Veterans Canteen Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot as you have the opportunity to move within the company quiet a bit.

Cons

It is federal government, so what they say goes. You are on a contract basis that you have to more or less fulfill. Also, you may get moved to other states which you may or may not like. Also, work hours can be at times too much as too many projects may get assigned.

Advice to Management

Keep it Simple.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Serving the best guest

I have been working at Veterans Canteen Service (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great way to serve those who served our country

Cons

Getting staff to take the VA pride serious and understand customer service is our first priorty

Advice to Management

Continue pushing the bar high. Our guest deserve it

The worst job out of a lifetime of crappy jobs!

I worked at Veterans Canteen Service

Pros

The only positives at the VCS were the other employees and the customers, both of which deserve better than what they get at the VCS.

Cons

The negative reviews about working for VCS are all true. You will be hired as a contract worker but promised it is really easy to work your way up and transfer out. It's a complete lie. It is up to your chief when you will be promoted to a full time, permanent employee. This process can take years, despite working 40 hours a week. You would make more money working just about anywhere else. Most of the employees there rely on welfare to get by, in fact, your chief will probably suggest it as a way to make ends meet if you are trying to support a family. The terms of working there as a contract worker are super shady. You will never be provided a pay stub and taking this job severely hurts your chances of getting unemployment when you quit (any you will quit, believe me). As an employee of the VCS you will regularly work overtime and not get paid for it and often will be denied a lunch break when your canteen is short staffed. My coworkers often worked through their breaks and would hide behind a corner and try to scarf down food when they had a moment. If you say something to your chief about this they will tell you that since they are run by the federal government they do not have to abide by state labor laws. This is a lie. The management here regularly forces employees to change the expiration dates on food for sale in the refrigerators, potentially putting customers at risk for contracting a food borne illness. If you do prep you will find yourself urged to cut off moldy portions of food and serving the rest. There is so much wrong with this place I can't even begin to summarize it here. Value? Compassion? Service? You will never find it there.

Advice to Management

Learn how local labor laws and abide by them. Don't abuse, harass, or intimidate your workers. Serve decent non-expired food to vets, their families, and hospital staff.