Via Christi Health System

There are newer employer reviews for Via Christi Health System

Secure, friendly...unempowering, mediocre

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Wichita, KS
Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Via Christi Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The mission and values are forefront, and decisions are made according to them (from my experience). Of the places I have worked, the OVERALL culture and environment is among the best. The people are great; people are genuinely friendly across all levels of the organization. It's great to work in such a dynamic place, working with people from so many different backgrounds and disciplines. The work is secure, and people around you generally work pretty hard.

Cons

Like any job, experience likely varies greatly by department and manager. One thing that I dislike was how much things changed in terms of organizational structure and job responsibilities within the first 2 months of my employment--it felt a like like an old bait-and-switch because my role was different than what was conveyed to me when I took the job, and within 6 weeks, I was reporting to a different manager. I feel that my team has trust issues, and that manifests itself into tight controls, gatekeeping, disempowerment, and fiefdom building. I felt quickly that I was working as a long-term intern rather than as an experienced, educated professional. My perception is that it can be hard to build a long-term career, as not a lot of people in upper-management are "home grown," but this seems typical in the healthcare industry.

Change is part of the DNA of health care, so there's not a lot you can do about the constant turn, but it can wear on people. Do what you can to take engagement and empowerment seriously, or the job will turn into a meat grinder, exacerbating the problem. Stick to the mission and values!

37 Other Employee Reviews for Via Christi Health System (View Most Recent)

Too much turnover in upper management, no coherent plan for growth.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Via Christi Health System

Pros

Staffing levels are adequate
    Good supply chain for medical supplies
    Pay scale is comparable to other hospitals in the area
    Hospital is clean
    Staff education is good for the size and scope of the facility

Cons

Upper management is constantly in disarray, multiple changes in the last few years
    RN's are required to float anywhere, at any time, including other facilities
    Benefits have been cut drastically in the last 24 months
    Recently built a $75 million hospital that nobody seems to know what to do with; capital probably could have been put to better use, i.e. replacing dated equipment in existing hospitals
    Security is poor; recent rash of car thefts on hospital property
    Mid level management is rife with favoritism and nepotism, a meritocracy Via Christi is not

1: Keep a competent and coherent management team in place. The constant changes at the top do us rank and file types no favors, and undermine confidence in the company.
    2: Think before you make an enormous capital expenditure, e,g, a hospital in a cornfield that nobody uses.
    3: Quit making pay, benefits, and staffing the first thing you cut when you make an enormous mistake that effects revenues. A lot of talented and skilled nursing staff left with this last float pool debacle.

I Love the job

Current Employee - CNA in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - CNA in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Via Christi Health System

Pros

Via Christi is a very Professional system. I work in a Via Christi Villiage and everything we do is to the highest level of professionalism. I was taught things i was unaware of and i feel myself growing in my job field thanks to via christi

Cons

some drawbacks i see Is the overall teamwork between shifts. Fall risks in my facility. and cleanliness within residents rooms.

There are newer employer reviews for Via Christi Health System