Viacom

www.viacom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Viacom

Easy to be a superstar, harder to get paid for it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Creative enviornment
Wonderful benefits
Good work/life balance
Encouraged to try new things
Compassionate management during personal crises
Can be a big fish in a small pond depending upon department
Amazing flex time options (work from home, comp days)

Cons

Borderine incompetent management
Some executives land top jobs with little to no experience if they have the backing of infuential executives
Completely lopsided top Viacom management to freelancer pay discrepancy
Younger milennials can be entitled, unprofessional and more of a negative than a positive

Critically review your middle management tier and consider some of your top performers for promotions-don't rely on the word of top executives (how did they get those jobs in the first place?)

229 Other Employee Reviews for Viacom (View Most Recent)

Viacom has a laid back work environment and great perks, but little in the way of career advancement.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom

Pros

One of the best perks of working at Viacom is the work/life balance. Summer Fridays is a great example. When I worked there we got every other Friday off in the Summer.

Cons

The biggest downside I experienced while working there was the pace of personal/professional advancement, by which I mean it was non-existant. I worked there for several years without a pro-motion in title.

I would have loved to have proved myself with more responsibility, but was never given the opportunity even when I asked.

It's like the wild west where every man is out for himself so you better be on your game.

Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at Viacom is being able to exercise your creativity and seeing the results of your work show up on air and seen by millions. There is really no rhyme or reason to some of the thigns we do which can be great if you harness if properly - you'll get a chance to do things no one has ever done before so it's like a laboratory for ideas. The people really make the workplace and I've had a chance to work with some incredibly talent folks who are my lifelong friends now.

Cons

Viacom is a very competitive place to work as it's such a desirable company to work for. Many times it seems like you don't get enough support from senior management because everyone is always trying to prove their worth to the larger organization. Also, because it's such a creative environment, it lacks the structure that most other companies have in place to ensure fairness and clear direction.

The people who work here are passionate about their jobs for a reason - they want to see the channels succeed because they hoenstly care. Please show some of that care back to the employees and really listen to what they need. Help us make sense of the madness that is making creativity blossom and most importantly, pay us what we deserve.

There are newer employer reviews for Viacom