There are newer employer reviews for Viacom

not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Fringe benefits like parties, events. You really feel the MTV culture when you go to one of their parties. They really meet up to the expectation of what an MTV party would be like. It's also a very laid-back place to work, casual dress.

Cons

Beginning pay is low; promotions take months to go through. The bureacracy is annoying.

When you promote someone, promote their pay as well immediately, not 6 months later.

185 Other Employee Reviews for Viacom (View Most Recent)

Fun Company, Flexible Work/Life, But for Low Pay

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Great content, flexible dress code, summer hours. It can be a fun environment since MTVN is in the building, and there is a good buzz because of that.

Cons

Systems are a mess (accounting, IT, food service, Travel, etc.). Salaries are well below metropolitan salaries and livable wages. Also, our location puts you in Times Square, which can at times be exciting, but can also create problems when commuting or just needing to find a good, inexpensive meal quickly.

Increase pay, give bigger raises for those who merit it, get rid of employees who are average or below. I also think there is a habit of not promoting people who should be promoted, while promoting people into people-management positions when their only experience has been on-the-job training as a regular worker.

I guess every company has it's pros and cons...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

It's very casual, comfortable, and laid back environment. They provide many opportunities to network. Pretty much only permanent staff receive good benefits: healthcare, 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc.

Cons

They do not care about their freelancers and many are very underpaid. They would rather spend their money on stupid petty things, such as parties and paying for EVERYTHING for rising nobody-celebrities, than on compensating their employees. A perfect example: almost taking away our healthcare benefits to switch to a HORRIBLE "healthcare plan." Viacom also do not care much about the MTV Store employees. They get paid very little with no benefits, meanwhile working very hard and sometimes getting out past 2am with no car service back home.

College tuition reimbursement may be a pain.

Don't let anyone work more than 50 or 60 hours a week.

There are newer employer reviews for Viacom

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!