There are newer employer reviews for Viacom

It was laidback and I received regular feedback for my work.

Former Employee - Research Intern in New York, NY
Former Employee - Research Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom

Pros

N/A - I was an intern with the company, but they seem to have a very good work/life balance.

Cons

I can't think of many cons, other than as an intern you are unpaid. I would rather have a paid internship than to only receive course credits.

Advice to Management

Please offer paid internships, so that many other talented individuals are able to contribute to the company as well. I do like that the duration of the internship was 3 months.

reviews filtered by

Exciting at first, but offensive management, low morale and insulting pay ruined everything

Former Employee - Content Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Content Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Viacom

Pros

The single best reason to work at Viacom is because it looks good on a resume. I worked with some talented individuals, but there was little to no sense of pride in anyone's work. There were opportunities to drink free beer, but not with the most talented minds at Viacom. The health benefits are quite good. Once every year or so there is free In'n'Out.

Cons

The environment was incredibly clique-oriented and much of the management is simply passive aggressive. The pay is lower than average while the stress is incredibly high, and the company's business models are not designed to reward good content--only good sales executives. Regularly employees are burdened with a ton of responsibility but denied agency and authority to execute creative solutions. Job titles almost never reflect the work done by the employees. There is very little interaction amongst companies. Bicoastal management is simply bipolar--the NYC and Santa Monica offices are almost never on the same page. Regular full-time positions are often axed completely, leaving the rest of the employees to pick up the slack when the jobs are never filled again, or, if they are filled, they are filled with freelance positions or unpaid internships. Some managers show so much animosity towards their employees that they often remark, "I don't have to say thank you because I give you a paycheck."

Advice to Management

Stop handing out iPods and Slap Chops at Christmas instead of bonus checks--it's insulting. Foster higher morale by rewarding hard work with bonuses--or at least additional time off--and saying "thank you" to the employees that deserve it. Don't publicly congratulate higher management in front of scornfully underpaid underlings, because it fosters resentment.

2. Great learning experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Relaxed, casual atmosphere which helps promote creativity. Encourages learning and self development (tuition reimbursement is an added bonus)

Cons

Promotions based on seniority and number of years worked rather than job performance. Very hard to move up in the company.