There are newer employer reviews for Viacom

Viacom offers the ability to build your career with diverse experience across their many networks.

Former Employee - Creative Director  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Creative Director in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Having worked at 4 networks under the Viacom / MTV Networks umbrella, I've found something amazingly consistent. Each network is very different in terms of the culture and the workflow, yet all were encouraging of exploration and seeking new opportunities in the network or in other networks. The company is like a creative hedge fund. Once you get a job in one of the networks, with little effort you'll be exposed to many other opportunities. They're yours for the taking, if you're a self-starter. Depending on the department, you'll be given enough rope (autonomy) to hang yourself or prove yourself.

Cons

Like most firms, management often doesn't know how good they have it with a top notch employee until that employee leaves. If you hang around one spot expecting automatic promotions simply by doing acceptably. You have to excellent and make yourself known. It's very competitive. You'll probably rise up the chain quicker by leaving a network then coming back a year or two later. Cross-network moves are the quickest path from PA to Associate Producer or AP to Producer or Producer to Exec Producer, etc, etc.

Ask all of your people what they want to do with their career long term. What's their biggest hope/goal? Do you think they've got a shot at making it there? If so, put them on that path to being a superstar.

189 Other Employee Reviews for Viacom (View Most Recent)

Viacom is a young, fun and laid back place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

There is a laid back atmosphere

Cons

There is high turnover at viacom

More incentive for employees to stay

It was laidback and I received regular feedback for my work.

Former Employee - Research Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom

Pros

N/A - I was an intern with the company, but they seem to have a very good work/life balance.

Cons

I can't think of many cons, other than as an intern you are unpaid. I would rather have a paid internship than to only receive course credits.

Please offer paid internships, so that many other talented individuals are able to contribute to the company as well. I do like that the duration of the internship was 3 months.

There are newer employer reviews for Viacom

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!