Amateur Night in Dixie Land

I worked at Viacom

Pros

At least it is new media, and you will work your butt off. They are willing to try almost anything to make a buck.

Cons

That said they wont but up the resources to make many good ideas really work, senior management terrified of Redstone, and the only real concern is what to do about the stock price. Compensation is terrible, benefits not too good either.

Run when you can, it seems the Redstone family drama will never end, and when the old man dies all heck will break loose I suspect.

Other Reviews for Viacom

not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Fringe benefits like parties, events. You really feel the MTV culture when you go to one of their parties. They really meet up to the expectation of what an MTV party would be like. It's also a very laid-back place to work, casual dress.

Cons

Beginning pay is low; promotions take months to go through. The bureacracy is annoying.

When you promote someone, promote their pay as well immediately, not 6 months later.

Fun Company, Flexible Work/Life, But for Low Pay

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Great content, flexible dress code, summer hours. It can be a fun environment since MTVN is in the building, and there is a good buzz because of that.

Cons

Systems are a mess (accounting, IT, food service, Travel, etc.). Salaries are well below metropolitan salaries and livable wages. Also, our location puts you in Times Square, which can at times be exciting, but can also create problems when commuting or just needing to find a good, inexpensive meal quickly.

Increase pay, give bigger raises for those who merit it, get rid of employees who are average or below. I also think there is a habit of not promoting people who should be promoted, while promoting people into people-management positions when their only experience has been on-the-job training as a regular worker.

There are newer employer reviews for Viacom.

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!