Viacom

www.viacom.com
  www.viacom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Viacom

I guess every company has it's pros and cons...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

It's very casual, comfortable, and laid back environment. They provide many opportunities to network. Pretty much only permanent staff receive good benefits: healthcare, 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc.

Cons

They do not care about their freelancers and many are very underpaid. They would rather spend their money on stupid petty things, such as parties and paying for EVERYTHING for rising nobody-celebrities, than on compensating their employees. A perfect example: almost taking away our healthcare benefits to switch to a HORRIBLE "healthcare plan." Viacom also do not care much about the MTV Store employees. They get paid very little with no benefits, meanwhile working very hard and sometimes getting out past 2am with no car service back home.

College tuition reimbursement may be a pain.

Don't let anyone work more than 50 or 60 hours a week.

217 Other Employee Reviews for Viacom (View Most Recent)

Don't join Simon & Schuster

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom

Pros

I worked in publishing. Top management doesn't care about that. But if you work in another division, that might be good. I think that the people at some of the other divisions had a far better experience than I did.

Great cafeteria. The cafeteria is one of the best in NYC.

Cons

Company is too big. Management has no understanding of what parts of the company do. Parts of the company are starved of resources. If you work there, there's no opportunity for advancement, and the focus is on cutting costs.

Learn what your company does. Invest in the publishing arm. Or sell it to someone who cares and would invest in it.

Viacom didnt seem that unprofessional

Former Employee - Music Programmer in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Music Programmer in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Viacom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company seems like a trustworthy place to work, providing a lot of potential for the employees.

Cons

Absolutely lacking in the dialogue between people applying for jobs and HR department

There are newer employer reviews for Viacom