Fun Company, Flexible Work/Life, But for Low Pay

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Great content, flexible dress code, summer hours. It can be a fun environment since MTVN is in the building, and there is a good buzz because of that.

Cons

Systems are a mess (accounting, IT, food service, Travel, etc.). Salaries are well below metropolitan salaries and livable wages. Also, our location puts you in Times Square, which can at times be exciting, but can also create problems when commuting or just needing to find a good, inexpensive meal quickly.

Advice to Management

Increase pay, give bigger raises for those who merit it, get rid of employees who are average or below. I also think there is a habit of not promoting people who should be promoted, while promoting people into people-management positions when their only experience has been on-the-job training as a regular worker.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I guess every company has it's pros and cons...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

It's very casual, comfortable, and laid back environment. They provide many opportunities to network. Pretty much only permanent staff receive good benefits: healthcare, 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc.

Cons

They do not care about their freelancers and many are very underpaid. They would rather spend their money on stupid petty things, such as parties and paying for EVERYTHING for rising nobody-celebrities, than on compensating their employees. A perfect example: almost taking away our healthcare benefits to switch to a HORRIBLE "healthcare plan." Viacom also do not care much about the MTV Store employees. They get paid very little with no benefits, meanwhile working very hard and sometimes getting out past 2am with no car service back home.

College tuition reimbursement may be a pain.

Advice to Management

Don't let anyone work more than 50 or 60 hours a week.

2. Don't join Simon & Schuster

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom

Pros

I worked in publishing. Top management doesn't care about that. But if you work in another division, that might be good. I think that the people at some of the other divisions had a far better experience than I did.

Great cafeteria. The cafeteria is one of the best in NYC.

Cons

Company is too big. Management has no understanding of what parts of the company do. Parts of the company are starved of resources. If you work there, there's no opportunity for advancement, and the focus is on cutting costs.

Advice to Management

Learn what your company does. Invest in the publishing arm. Or sell it to someone who cares and would invest in it.