Vibrant Media

Sad to depart

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time

Pros

Great people, interesting and challenging work. Management of technology department had improved a lot as switch to Agile methodology bedded in.

Cons

I really hope for the sake of the company and the people left that the big reduction in (mostly) software development (including me) at the start of March 2014 proves to be the right decision for the company.

The company knows what it needs to do now to survive. You've chosen to refocus development to London - make sure you don't skimp the resourcing necessary to make that decision work.

52 Other Employee Reviews for Vibrant Media (View Most Recent)

while great in its infancy, lack of product and poor senior management destroyed this company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the old Vibrant had many pros. people had fun working in a lively environment. Christmas parties in the Bahamas, comradery coming out of the walls, great product, senior management was very open and communicated to us and the company was doing very well. not so much anymore. I left right before the last layoff in March. One pro is that if you are "buddies" with certain people in management, you will get a guaranteed bonus so long as you do not leave before the end of the year, and will be saved when layoffs inevitably happen again in H2.

Compensation was pretty good but the benefits were sorely lacking for a tech company. Health insurance, paid time off and a non matching 401K was about the extent.

Cons

Vibrant has lost its way. They have old stale product that they still try to push (Vibrant has become a bit of a running joke within the industry), even though most clients no longer want it (which is why client attrition is so high) and management seems incapable of creating any product that was as great as in-text once was. They still have no answer for programmatic buying and those companies are eating Vibrants lunch. I know there were talks of getting it before I left but come on, 3-4 years after everyone else has it?This company is losing money left and right and they have no idea how to stop it.

The "strategy" seems to change weekly. Sometimes the "bright idea" is to simply create excel sheets to track sales client spends and communication. Yes, Im being serious. THIS was considered a great idea by sales management.

The company culture has become morose and uninspiring. Many people just keeping their heads down in hopes they make it through the next round of layoffs.

The company has no CFO, COO, CRO, CTO (they used to have all). Sound like a bit of an issue? It gets better - The current CEO has zero experience running a company (it definitely shows) and making business decisions, let alone a struggling company.

Senior management tends to be less than forthcoming when talking about the company health. cherry picking financial aspects to make it sound like the company is doing better than it really is, and then BOOM! Massive layoffs in the US. Many people (mostly the newbies) still buy into the idea that company is about to "pivot" (for like, the 10th time in 3 years) into something great. Never mind the fact that there is no plan to do so.

If you are actually considering working here, do yourself a favor and search for any sales rep who used to work here via LinkedIn. They will back up everything here and probably divulge even more.

Sell the company (if there is an interested buyer) for anything you can get. The longer you wait, the less you will get. Obviously.

things just keep getting worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you are a "chosen one", you will get a large raise and a guaranteed bonus for the rest of the year if you sign a contract promising not to quit before years end. Work life balance is decent too.

Cons

I was hired almost 3 years ago and was told then about all the good times and Xmas parties from years past and that the company was "pivoting" (they say this about once every 6 mos now) and about to turn the corner for greener pastures. I turned down another offer to work here. Since then:

*the entire C level staff quit or was let go...all within about a 3 week window (see AdAge article)
    *numerous rounds of layoffs including a large one just a few weeks ago
    *a lack of innovative products. we have become a copy cat company waiting for other companies to develop something cool, and then we copy it
    *the lack of leadership and communication from Sr Mgmt is astounding (no true CEO or company leader)
    *revenues have been falling since I got here (hence all the layoffs)
    *the strategy for the company changes weekly as I have worked on so many projects that all of the sudden get eliminated so we can "pivot" to yet another direction
    *the "perks" or benefits here are practically non existent
    *the attrition rate here is easily the highest of any company I have ever worked for, which makes it hard to keep momentum when working on projects
    *the culture has taken a nosedive since the first year I was here. Im sure all the layoffs have something to do with it

Does that sound like things are getting better?

Do something creative with product. Take a risk. Do something as bold as In-text was 12 years ago. The company is dying due to lack of a product that companies want.

There are newer employer reviews for Vibrant Media