Vibrant Media

Sad to depart

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time

Pros

Great people, interesting and challenging work. Management of technology department had improved a lot as switch to Agile methodology bedded in.

Cons

I really hope for the sake of the company and the people left that the big reduction in (mostly) software development (including me) at the start of March 2014 proves to be the right decision for the company.

The company knows what it needs to do now to survive. You've chosen to refocus development to London - make sure you don't skimp the resourcing necessary to make that decision work.

52 Other Employee Reviews for Vibrant Media (View Most Recent)

things just keep getting worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you are a "chosen one", you will get a large raise and a guaranteed bonus for the rest of the year if you sign a contract promising not to quit before years end. Work life balance is decent too.

Cons

I was hired almost 3 years ago and was told then about all the good times and Xmas parties from years past and that the company was "pivoting" (they say this about once every 6 mos now) and about to turn the corner for greener pastures. I turned down another offer to work here. Since then:

*the entire C level staff quit or was let go...all within about a 3 week window (see AdAge article)
    *numerous rounds of layoffs including a large one just a few weeks ago
    *a lack of innovative products. we have become a copy cat company waiting for other companies to develop something cool, and then we copy it
    *the lack of leadership and communication from Sr Mgmt is astounding (no true CEO or company leader)
    *revenues have been falling since I got here (hence all the layoffs)
    *the strategy for the company changes weekly as I have worked on so many projects that all of the sudden get eliminated so we can "pivot" to yet another direction
    *the "perks" or benefits here are practically non existent
    *the attrition rate here is easily the highest of any company I have ever worked for, which makes it hard to keep momentum when working on projects
    *the culture has taken a nosedive since the first year I was here. Im sure all the layoffs have something to do with it

Does that sound like things are getting better?

Do something creative with product. Take a risk. Do something as bold as In-text was 12 years ago. The company is dying due to lack of a product that companies want.

Not a good idea to work here

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some good people (though most have wised up and left), good work life balance and some good happy hours, if you are lucky, you will be offered a bonus to not quit.

Cons

where to begin? lack of leadership, all senior mgmt are in those positions by default due to their length with the company (whether they are competent or not), No C level execs with experience, rapidly declining revenues, no innovative products since In-text was launched (just launched mobile in 2013), at least 5-6 rounds of layoffs in the last few years (as a few others have noted, just recently laid off 20% of an already shrinking US workforce), can no longer attract top talent, no real strategy for growth (no, continuing to lay people off is not growth strategy), benefits/perks are nowhere near what other companies in this space offer (you basically get paid time off and insurance coverage), too many others to list.

INNOVATE! You have become the Blackberry of adtech! Also, you will not attract talent if you keep laying people off, and the first article when you google "Vibrant Media" is about losing the entire Exec team.

There are newer employer reviews for Vibrant Media