Victoria's Secret Stores

Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Victoria's Secret Stores

I hated working here

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores

Pros

employee discount was real good

Cons

stay late and never appreciated for the rediculaous work i did

1824 Other Employee Reviews for Victoria's Secret Stores (View Most Recent)

If you cherish your soul, you just won't. I'm about to get pretty informative.

Former Employee - Bra Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Bra Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DISCLAIMER: I didn't work in Boston, I worked in the Boston area at several locations.
    the discount is great (that way you can spend all of your money there, well, what little you make, that is)
    you get a lot of free stuff (well...ALMOST free but it's all very catchy)
    the product is adorable (even though highly unnecessary to own in bulk, but just watch what happens)
    you'll make the best of friends (the 5% that aren't 18 and just there to get cheap pink yoga pants and a free very sexy bra twice a year)
    they respect your weekends (so much so theyre excited to see you at 7am on Saturdays and Sundays even if you have the day off so you can watch a video about a bra you've been selling for years!)
    they really care (about the customer...just the customer...even if they're robbing them blind)
    it always smells nice. (No, it really does. I mean, they sell 30 of the same smelling perfume so...yeah)

Cons

I understand the uptight dress code, but even the smallest of pin stripes will get you in trouble, but then again it depends on the manager since none of them are ever consistent.
    The wage oh my god the wage.
    How they will never in a million years care about you or your employment there, even if they pretend to like writing it down somewhere.
    It's usually nothing but girls. Or gay guys.
    Management is never consistent.
    VIDEOS ON EARLY MORNING WEEKENDS ABOUT NEW PERFUMES?
    They come out with a new product to push every 5 seconds, PS- consumers, this is called a launch. So, you better come up with a way to love THIS ONE PARTICULAR BRA because if you dont sell THOSE the most of these specific two weeks, you look bad, and you probably won't get hours.
    Also, you better force credit cards down people's throats.

And remember, VS takes anything, and I mean ANYTHING. Expired coupons, and 15 year old bras. The customer is not only always right, but always available to get free things.
    Management, management EVERY WHERE I GO (i've worked at multiple ones)
    Also, they will promise you so many move up opportunities. No way, kiddos. You have to exemplify the BRAND. It's essentially like trying to sit at the cheerleader's table and interviewing for it like some dumb shmuck 16 year old.

Also, if you're sick, or have an emergency, they are never at all sympathetic. They will try their best to guilt you. One girl had leg surgery and her doctor told her not to stand. We had a tall beauty chair for her to sit on behind cash wrap. The store manager told her she had to stand. And if you disobey her, there goes your hours. When she wasnt, the other managers let her sit, but there you go for inconsistency.
    One manager told a complete lie about me, and the store manager believed her even though she had started less than two weeks prior after me being there for four years.

I have seen sane people start working here and end up deranged. I had to move out of state because I was having a nervous break down that's how miserable they made me.
    I've also had managers pressure me into giving them good comments on assessment tests when they knew I wouldn't.
    I also had a manager tell me to keep my ears out and report back all the gossip she's heard so she can use it against them.
    Also, they manage to skip people's raises (who are eligible), promote people who don't have the correct prerequisites into higher positions, clock out to stay legal but keep us working off the clock to get it done so we don't get in trouble, and deny time off.

I get that it's a business, and I get that it's retail...but no job should be as unfair and as miserable. This is a pretty big pattern I've seen in this district.

Victoria's Secret warps your mind into believing something about a culture that isn't true.

Respect people and know that your associates are paying attention.
    Treat everybody fairly.
    Why are you giving your product away? Accepting 15 year old returns? I mean, I guess it all evens out when you consider the 60% production mark up.
    Give people more holidays. Nobody needs to go into V.S on the fourth of July.
    You should understand that most people that go into that fitting room are DDD+ and, your product runs small btw. Make bras that cover more ground and stop discontinuing the ones that work. People are STILL talking about the Incredible, NOBODY liked the Close Up. It isn't hard.
    Management should DO things when they say they will. They never, ever do. Not in store management, nor district management.
    In store promotion may be better than outside because these people know the product.

Manager

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores

Pros

a few free or extra discounted items monthly

Cons

zero work life balance, zero weekends, always closing shifts, horrible leadership, & zero career growth just to name a few. I am shocked that the GM still has her job due to the DAILY ethical violations! This company preaches CULTURE & VALUES but doesn't live it.. MAYBE other stores are better and I just experienced HORRIBLE leadership. Only 30% discount for employees and 40% for managers. My advice to people who are seeking employment here is to DO YOUR HOMEWORK first!

There are newer employer reviews for Victoria's Secret Stores