There are newer employer reviews for Viejas Casino

A roller-coaster ride that ends in disappointment

Current Employee - Management in Alpine, CA
Current Employee - Management in Alpine, CA

I have been working at Viejas Casino full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* The people that I work with have been great, 5, 10, 15 year employees very friendly - a good team
* Good benefits - competitive or better than market average, maybe?
* Easy commute to and from work
* If you like loud, fast-paced excitement, this is for you (but not the Grave Shift - agonizingly slow and quiet)
* Never the same old, same old - always count on a changing atmosphere
* Always a different situation and always a different interaction
* Many players have been coming in for 20 years, loyal players love loyal employees - they love us and we love them

Cons

Viejas was very family oriented many years ago. Annual picnics at the water park, discounts for local events, and sometimes free tickets to concerts were among some of the perks.
It’s understandable that cuts had to be made during the recession in order to stay in business and remain competitive.
The entire upper management has turned over at least 3-4 times since I’ve been employed there. That’s where the roller-coaster came in and the overall morale of the Front Line was taken for a ride each time. The direction and leadership has always been conflicting due to the revolving door at the tops of all departments.
During this most recent turnover, the direction appeared to be somewhat steady, but the execution of the direction has been a disaster. One key message from the head of HR was to let our low and non-performing employees go. Keep the “best of the best” in order to achieve and surpass our goals to become the absolute best in our market.
Yet politics, favoritism, and misguidance ruled once again. From where I am, this is because all decisions are made secretly behind closed doors, without input from the Front Line or even the slightest concern for the Front Line.
A good share of the most loyal, dependable, productive, “best of the best” Team Members opted to leave with a severance instead of stay and help ensure that we make this property a four-diamond resort in 2013. The” conflicting message” here is that some of the lowest performing employees (per annual reviews) are still employed.

If I were the Leader of someone’s business, I would solicit candid input from the Front Line without putting up “the wall of disregard” & making them feel like they’ll be fired for speaking out. It’s good to step back and learn from others’ perspectives. These people are loyal and want to help make the business the most successful in its market. Heck, it’s their livelihood too, you know. Input from the Front Line helps as much or more than the inaccessible, aloof upper management. The recent actions to eliminate key positions (many were so-called “best of the best”) and the latest elimination of an entire department has resulted in chaos. You know this. It’s because you gathered skewed and narrow-minded information from a select few with an agenda. Shame on you. A disproportionate number of very good Leaders and Team Members opted for the severance because they did not want to work for the people left in charge. You should have watched and listened more closely, (insert applicable party's name here)
You should be more involved with the underlings to get a more balanced picture. People have been afraid to speak out for years because time and time again, there is definitely retaliation. We see it, we experience it. With this latest turn of events, you were sorely misguided by a clearly incompetent head of a “new department” who had a personal agenda.

17 Other Employee Reviews for Viejas Casino (View Most Recent)

Penny wise and pound foolish

Former Employee - Poker Dealer in Alpine, CA
    Former Employee - Poker Dealer in Alpine, CA

I worked at Viejas Casino full-time

Pros

Friendly employees who really want the casino to succeed.

Cons

Tribal owners refuse to spend money to keep up with other casinos and often hire upper management based on whether they will take their low wages.

Upper management knows that the tribal owners are what really stop the casino from prospering.

Priorities always changing makes it hard to succeed

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Alpine, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Alpine, CA

I worked at Viejas Casino

Pros

Great people to work with, when times are peaceful it can be a fun happy place.
    The tribe really do care about the team members and they try to be fair and caring employers.

Cons

The frequent changes in upper management make it difficult to maintain a marketing strategy. The marketing department seems to take a lot of the criticism when profits are low or some tribe members or upper managers do not like the look of the advertising.

Obviously they know that the downshift in the economy has been hard and the lay-offs have led to a very stressful environment. I believe that one step that is key to employee moral, is to be seen on the floor. Team members want to know the management understands what they do and will make decisions with a strong understanding of the operations involved. Have lower level floor member attend a brainstorming session on occasion, or have a town hall meeting to discuss the pros and cons of the last promotion. What we see in the numbers are not always a direct indicator of how well perceived the promotion was.

There are newer employer reviews for Viejas Casino