Viejas Casino

www.viejas.com

Grandiose plans, lacks poor execution in everything. No real effort and support from upper management.

Pros

Nice benefits. Surprisingly decent pay. Good/supportive team members. Opportunities to grow. Fun atmosphere.

Cons

Harsh work schedules. NO flexibility whatsoever. No loyalty to team members (25+ yrs of work to be let go in a heartbeat). Fake smiles.

Mainly to UPPER management: Treat your employees well, work with some of their needs. If you take care of them, they will take care of you. Don't take them for all they've got.
We're called TEAM members because we should be a TEAM. Without one or the other, the business can't run, so treat your team mates well.

Other reviews for Viejas Casino

Top Management can not take responsibility for the missteps they take.

Former Employee - Promotions and Events Manager  in  Alpine, CA
    Former Employee - Promotions and Events Manager in Alpine, CA

Pros

Used to have good benefits. Was close to home.

Cons

Team members are so scared of loosing their job that there is much back stabbing going on. Change is good but constant change is confusing to the front line team members. They teach that you must keep the front line team members happy and informed but then hit up the middle management team for doing so.

Take responsibility for what you have done. Be honest with the tribe and with the things you have done wrong and stop tossing middle management under the bus.
    Mostly, they could stand to clean out top management and start fresh.

A roller-coaster ride that ends in disappointment

Current Employee - Management  in  Alpine, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Alpine, CA

Pros

* The people that I work with have been great, 5, 10, 15 year employees very friendly - a good team
    * Good benefits - competitive or better than market average, maybe?
    * Easy commute to and from work
    * If you like loud, fast-paced excitement, this is for you (but not the Grave Shift - agonizingly slow and quiet)
    * Never the same old, same old - always count on a changing atmosphere
    * Always a different situation and always a different interaction
    * Many players have been coming in for 20 years, loyal players love loyal employees - they love us and we love them

Cons

Viejas was very family oriented many years ago. Annual picnics at the water park, discounts for local events, and sometimes free tickets to concerts were among some of the perks.
    It’s understandable that cuts had to be made during the recession in order to stay in business and remain competitive.
    The entire upper management has turned over at least 3-4 times since I’ve been employed there. That’s where the roller-coaster came in and the overall morale of the Front Line was taken for a ride each time. The direction and leadership has always been conflicting due to the revolving door at the tops of all departments.
    During this most recent turnover, the direction appeared to be somewhat steady, but the execution of the direction has been a disaster. One key message from the head of HR was to let our low and non-performing employees go. Keep the “best of the best” in order to achieve and surpass our goals to become the absolute best in our market.
    Yet politics, favoritism, and misguidance ruled once again. From where I am, this is because all decisions are made secretly behind closed doors, without input from the Front Line or even the slightest concern for the Front Line.
    A good share of the most loyal, dependable, productive, “best of the best” Team Members opted to leave with a severance instead of stay and help ensure that we make this property a four-diamond resort in 2013. The” conflicting message” here is that some of the lowest performing employees (per annual reviews) are still employed.

If I were the Leader of someone’s business, I would solicit candid input from the Front Line without putting up “the wall of disregard” & making them feel like they’ll be fired for speaking out. It’s good to step back and learn from others’ perspectives. These people are loyal and want to help make the business the most successful in its market. Heck, it’s their livelihood too, you know. Input from the Front Line helps as much or more than the inaccessible, aloof upper management. The recent actions to eliminate key positions (many were so-called “best of the best”) and the latest elimination of an entire department has resulted in chaos. You know this. It’s because you gathered skewed and narrow-minded information from a select few with an agenda. Shame on you. A disproportionate number of very good Leaders and Team Members opted for the severance because they did not want to work for the people left in charge. You should have watched and listened more closely, (insert applicable party's name here)
    You should be more involved with the underlings to get a more balanced picture. People have been afraid to speak out for years because time and time again, there is definitely retaliation. We see it, we experience it. With this latest turn of events, you were sorely misguided by a clearly incompetent head of a “new department” who had a personal agenda.

There are newer employer reviews for Viejas Casino.

Worked for Viejas Casino? Contribute to the Community!