Virgin America

www.virginamerica.com
  www.virginamerica.com
There are newer employer reviews for Virgin America

Learned a lot, growth opportunities are limited.

Former Employee - Manager in Burlingame, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Virgin America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teammates, mostly smart people, great brand, lots of company activities, positive space flight benefits.

Cons

Growth opportunities are limited, work never ends, team is extremely lean.

Find ways to keep good people, it isn't always about the money.

104 Other Employee Reviews for Virgin America (View Most Recent)

I love the company & my job, but I strongly dislike "Reserve".

Current Employee - In Flight Team Member (Flight Attendant) in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - In Flight Team Member (Flight Attendant) in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You do not work a normal mon-fri 9-5 w/only 1 week off for (maybe) a paid vacation. As inflight, you can have a "vacation" practically every month without ever really taking an official vacation. You get travel perks for yourself, your companion, parents, & friends. Other industry discounts are included as well. We have paid sick days, health care, 401K plans & other benefits. The company is growing & doing very well.

Cons

Although everything looks good on paper, it is a very competitive and challenging industry to work for. Since we are non-union, you really have to fight for your rights & the rules can change any time. The schedule is highly demanding and half of your time is volunteered. The hourly pay is decent, but you have to pretty much cut your wage in half for all the time you put into the job (it does not compensate what it should). The scheduling department is an absolute mess & unfortunately it does interfere with your overall quality of life. Being on "reserve" is the most difficult thing about the job & most will say that the company has the worst reserve program industry-wide.

Management at LAX is a fabulous, supportive team. Some of mgmt at SFO & HQ tend to be recognized as a little more "strict" or by the book, & at times this can come of as a sense of detachment or lack of empathy toward their employees at all bases.

Not what it seems.

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The caliber of people you work with, frontline peeps (pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, mechanics), are the best I have come across in the industry. Guests getting off the airplane rave at our service, our airplanes, our attitude. That is not common at other airlines, even the most successful airlines in terms of money generally tick off passengers off in great numbers on a daily basis.

Cons

What you don't see... from the outside, is how inept management is at Virgin America. They started with a blank sheet of paper and has pretty much done everything they could do wrong in managing people, and done it in a big way.

- Favoritism is rampant... snitch on a coworker? Well you just got a promotion!
    - Airlines are built on seniority, just like any other blue collar job. At VA, there are many examples in the Pilot and ITM ranks of seniority violations. Without a union, or honest management, there is nothing you can do about it.
    - The much vaunted "open door policy" that is talked so much about before you come on board or when you are new, is bunk. They don't want to hear your opinion or new idea. You end up being told that you don't understand the complexities and thanks but no thanks.
    - Management targets employees, threatens, intimidates, etc. Some of these managers are gone, but we have some new ones that still do the same.
    - Company will actually pay you to quit. They talk about building a family, a team. But what team will pay a member a portion of their salary to no longer work there after they are no longer useful to them? ITMs have had opportunities to get "bought out" after five years in exchange for resignation.
    - Pay is woefully under industry average. Pilots are 15-30% under industry average, ITMs (Flight Attendants) are even less.
    - Crew policy manuals are a "guideline" that is changed frequently to suit the company's needs.
    - Managers are able to apply any kind of punishment they feel necessary. Companies of this type generally have a roadmap, or a chain of events set forth so that all parties can see what can happen given a situation. Not at VA, managers can do whatever they want. If you are a favorite, then great, if not...
    - Company says money is tight and that they can't afford to pay standard rates for the industry, yet they spend money like drunken sailors (no offense to any sailors out there). Parties for the favorites are common. Company holds a yearly reprogramming seminar over two days called "Refresh". Takes two months, all employees MUST attend. Hotels, food, drinks, vouchers... all provided by the company. What do we do during this session? Let's see, ball room dancing, putting on car tires, assembling food (not cooking) in the theme of Iron Chef or something similar, act in skits, bang on drums. Yeah, that's worth two days away from my family and DEFINITELY teaches me how to fly or fix an airplane better.

We've tried telling managers that have been here for a while what is wrong with this place. To new managers brought in from other companies though, talk to the people in your department. Not your middle managers, they are just protecting their jobs. Things are not what they seem. Employees (note I did NOT say "teammate" as that implys we are in it together, we are actually treated like subjects) want the company to be successful, we have bought into the mission of doing this job right and changing the industry. But we are not being supported, not being treated fairly, and have been held back by faulty managers. Listen to the rank and file, and this place will really fly! Don't, and the turnover is going to be insane. Of course, maybe that's what you want?

There are newer employer reviews for Virgin America