There are newer employer reviews for Virginia Commerce Bancorp

Good, but some growing pains

Current Employee - Supervisor in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Supervisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Virginia Commerce Bancorp

Pros

Autonomy, pay for performance, able to give individual attention to customers, flexible schedule. fosters a decent work life balance and promotes from within. Is demanding, but reasonable, oftentimes has a lack of focus as an organization and/or changes direction on priorities.

Cons

communication can be an issue, top-down management, workload can be overwhelming, sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, could use more help in support roles. Limited upward mobility. To ease thes issues, perhaps managment should consider more structure and guidance on issues, beter understanding of goals and objective of the organization, better training and learning opportunties

Advice to Management

More structure and guidance on issues, beter understanding of goals and objective of the organization, better training and learning opportunties

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It was like working for a bank in the 1960's.

I worked at Virginia Commerce Bancorp

Pros

Bank that is local to communities. Not in city centers, branches in burbs.

Cons

Very out of date technology wise, there was no "helpline" for staff, automation was almost non exsistant. Micro-managed to the enth degree.

Advice to Management

Allow branches to cultivate and develope their own style. As long as branches are scoring well in customer surveys, allow them to think out of the box. Understand your business will come from servicing your customers, not from attending fundraisers and Chamber meetings.

2. Enjoyed it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Virginia Commerce Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The branch manager respected me for my reliability and talent. That made me feel great because I am a diligent worker who gets fuel from that kind of acknowledgement. I happily worked extra hours to make the office run smoothly because the manager and coworkers made it worth it.

Cons

I was a part time worker on the record, but I actually worked full time and overtime. I was happy to work extra hours, but back then, part time meant no health insurance. It ended up costing me.