Great place to get experience if you're seeking further education

Current Employee - Laboratory Specialist  in  Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Laboratory Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Virginia Commonwealth University

Pros

Everyone is easy-going but is also responsible for their part.
Since there are a lot of small labs, lab techs can learn a lot.
State employee benefits.

Cons

Low pay. You can hardly make it on your own if you work as a lab tech. My salary is unusually high for a lab tech.
Unless you're just getting experience to seek further education here, it's not a place to work for. I'm sure the pay is okay for other positions.

I don't know how you guys expect newly grads to live with under 30k with student loans chasing their butts. But this is true for lab techs anywhere in the country.

Other Reviews for Virginia Commonwealth University

You will try and fail to get your money.

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Richmond, VA

I worked at Virginia Commonwealth University as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The collaboration opportunities for graduate students are excellent, and working as a Graduate Teaching Assistant will put you right in the middle of it, with exposure to everything that's going on. I never wanted for opportunities, and met a wide range of researchers.

Cons

Getting your money is nigh on impossible. Whether it's lack of communication, incorrectly completed forms, or just plain stonewalling, the department makes a concerted effort to not pay its student employees. I have literally had to yell to receive pay, and it usually came well after the end of the semester in question. There's one woman who processes the required forms, and she doesn't care about you.

Pay your people, on time, every time. Especially since your salaries are public record, and we know exactly how much you make not paying us.

I really enjoy the atmosphere

Current Employee - Director of Sports  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Sports in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Virginia Commonwealth University

Pros

I really like to work here as a state employee. Some of my co-workers are very helpful but sometimes there can be some gossup about others.

Cons

I do not like my schedule and payscale working at Virginia Commonwealth University. I feel that I work so much but get paid less and its annoying.

You should always take control of a situation and never shy away from opportunities.

There are newer employer reviews for Virginia Commonwealth University.

Worked for Virginia Commonwealth University? Contribute to the Community!