There are newer employer reviews for Virginia Department of Health

A Cancerous Organization Plagued by Incompetent and Dysfunctional Management

I worked at Virginia Department of Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the nurses, doctors, and nurse practitioners want to do a good job and do their best despite a poor workplace environment. The services provided to the general public are indispensable.

Cons

This is not even typical bureaucracy; it's really much worse. There is much vertical violence in the lower echelon of the organization, between acting managers and nurses and support staff. Higher level managers (directors and so forth) play musical chairs as no one seems to hold these positions for more than a few months. Thus, any unethical activity exhibited by lower management goes unnoticed, ignored, or simply unpunished.

Many of the acting managers are keen to the fact that they're simply not employable outside of this organization. Thus, it seems that they do whatever is necessary to maintain their pay grade and associated power. Abuse of power is used to intimidate (BULLY) or eliminate whoever, whenever. No one is safe, as management has:

-Fired a long-time worker while on medical leave.

-Falsely accused a worker of wrongdoing, firing him/her.

Both of the previously-alluded to employees were reinstated after further review. No punishment was passed over to management for their malicious intents and/or neglect. Additionally, the organization routinely abuses the cruel 12 - 18 probationary period to unload young nurses like contract employees (freeing up budget space by eliminating future overhead - this is their sad attempt at financial management) or to simply get rid of those they do not like. This makes me wish Virginia had unions, or something to PROTECT the worker, as no one else is going to do it.

This is a vile organization, but one of the few spots to practice public healthcare. Thus, many who want to get into the field end up here and leave quickly or are terminated. There is no money and insufficient services are ultimately provided to a community in desperate need. Both internally and externally, this organization is viewed as a joke but no one seems to do anything about it. It's sad, and it will take a huge scandal (and there will be one) for anyone to take notice.

I guess this one should go all the way upstairs:

Hey Gov. B: Clean house at VDH.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Experience

I worked at Virginia Department of Health

Pros

Provided great experience as a recent graduate.

Cons

Parking is not a paid employee benefit.

Great leadership

2. Depends on your Supervisor

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Richmond, VA

I worked at Virginia Department of Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Had a great supervisor, he communicated with me clearly and frequently. He gave me increasingly challenging and independent work as I learned.

Cons

State organization, so paperwork and bureaucracy got tiresome. As a part time employee I was limited to 1500 hours of work per year, which was not so bad considering I only worked there 9 months on a temporary assignment, but would be frustrating otherwise.

Put some time into communicating with those directly under you, and suggest that they do the same.

There are newer employer reviews for Virginia Department of Health