Virginia Department of Health
www.vdh.state.va.us Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

A Cancerous Organization Plagued by Incompetent and Dysfunctional Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the nurses, doctors, and nurse practitioners want to do a good job and do their best despite a poor workplace environment. The services provided to the general public are indispensable.

ConsThis is not even typical bureaucracy; it's really much worse. There is much vertical violence in the lower echelon of the organization, between acting managers and nurses and support staff. Higher level managers (directors and so forth) play musical chairs as no one seems to hold these positions for more than a few months. Thus, any unethical activity exhibited by lower management goes unnoticed, ignored, or simply unpunished.

Many of the acting managers are keen to the fact that they're simply not employable outside of this organization. Thus, it seems that they do whatever is necessary to maintain their pay grade and associated power. Abuse of power is used to intimidate (BULLY) or eliminate whoever, whenever. No one is safe, as management has:

-Fired a long-time worker while on medical leave.

-Falsely accused a worker of wrongdoing, firing him/her.

Both of the previously-alluded to employees were reinstated after further review. No punishment was passed over to management for their malicious intents and/or neglect. Additionally, the organization routinely abuses the cruel 12 - 18 probationary period to unload young nurses like contract employees (freeing up budget space by eliminating future overhead - this is their sad attempt at financial management) or to simply get rid of those they do not like. This makes me wish Virginia had unions, or something to PROTECT the worker, as no one else is going to do it.

This is a vile organization, but one of the few spots to practice public healthcare. Thus, many who want to get into the field end up here and leave quickly or are terminated. There is no money and insufficient services are ultimately provided to a community in desperate need. Both internally and externally, this organization is viewed as a joke but no one seems to do anything about it. It's sad, and it will take a huge scandal (and there will be one) for anyone to take notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementI guess this one should go all the way upstairs:

Hey Gov. B: Clean house at VDH.

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Virginia Department of Health

Pros: Provided great experience as a recent graduate. Cons: Parking is not a paid employee benefit. Advice to Senior Management: Great leadership Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Depends on your Supervisor

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

I worked at Virginia Department of Health part-time for less than a year

Pros: Had a great supervisor, he communicated with me clearly and frequently.… Cons: State organization, so paperwork and bureaucracy got tiresome. As a part time employee I was limited to 1500 hours of work per… Advice to Senior Management: Put some time into communicating with those directly under you,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Virginia Department of Health.

Worked for Virginia Department of Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Virginia Department of Health reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Virginia Department of Health employees.