There are newer employer reviews for Virtual Causeway

This job is like the tv show "The Office" but worse and not funny

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Virtual Causeway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- If you don't have a vehicle, it's on a transit route
- There are 'summer hours' on Fridays where you can be done at 1 pm, but you have to stay later during the week to make up the time. This also didn't apply for management level
- You can win prizes for meeting calling quotas and lead generation targets (con: they are terrible prizes)

Cons

- The pay is REALLY low. It's a little above the poverty line for non-management employees
- You are on the phone all day long, making cold calls and working on research projects in between calls at the same time. If you do not meet your daily call quota (which can be in the 100's) or if there is too much down time between each call (a few minutes), you will be in trouble.
- Extreme micro management
- No breaks allowed because going to the bathroom is a break
- Not allowed to socialize with coworkers outside of work or you will be potentially written up. Not allowed to spend too much time with other departments because it's looked down upon.
- If you call in sick, expect multiple phone calls home. Example: emergency contacts have been called just because of an employee calling in sick with the flu. I was told specifically, if you are contagious that's one thing. If you have the stomach flu, you can still come in and do work. You also cannot leave work if you are sick without a giant hassle. Example: Had to get doctor's note on a Friday to leave 3 hours earlier due to having a really bad cold. Also got several employees sick because of it.
- No open door policy because the management team is related - through marriage or siblings. HR reports to them so nothing will ever change.
- When you quit, you're expected to give many weeks notice (at least 4, but preferably 6-12 months). You will be treated poorly as well as ignored during your notice period.

- Get some ethics and a soul because everyone hates working for you because of you.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Virtual Causeway (View Most Recent)

Misleading marketing firm that is actually a call centre which limits a work-life balace.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Virtual Causeway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

During the summer Fridays are half days hours must be made up earlier in the week and the organization is closed during the Christmas Holidays.

Cons

The culture with the organization leaves a lot to be desired with stern management whose sole focus is for employees to execute hundreds of calls within a day leaves little room for growth or happiness. The job descriptions are designed in a manner not to note what the job actually is and a lot of University grads waste their talent and knowledge within this organization. It is a place where family or personal emergencies are not to be mentioned and you must be careful not to take a minute longer for your break or lunch. I advise anyone looking for a position where they would like to utilize their skills, to be happy and to grow not to apply to this company. How the company represents itself within the industry and community is not the reality for employees.

The management needs to change and HR needs to tell potential employees what the job really is nonstop calling you just stop for breaks and lunch.

If you want to be relevant in an organization at Virtual Causeway is the place to build your career

Current Employee - Vice President Operations and Administration in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Virtual Causeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Virtual Causeway has built a reputation for excellence among its clients and team members. Recognized for its leadership and innovation - Virtual Causeway has been in business since 2001.

Leaders at Virtual Causeway are passionate, solution oriented and work closely with team members to resolve issues, and work diligently to coach and guide staff to success. Leaders and staff are excited about the technology and services we market, and have exposure to cutting edge approaches to technology and the sales and marketing approaches to sell the technology to prospective clients.

Key attributes for employees: fast paced, variety of projects, leadership who cares about team members, employees are not a number, plenty of opportunities for growth, development and stretching your skills.
    You can drive your career by having a great attitude, performing, and working as a solid team member.
    Recognition and feedback are part of the everyday culture.
    You are rewarded by what you do and accomplish, not on what you say you will do.
    There are many perks for employees - events, training, exposure to local and international clients. Virtual Causeway employees have access to some of the most sought after executives across North America.

Most of our managers have been promoted from within - hard work, a solutions based approach, leadership competence and strong team players are recognized and rewarded for their contributions and gain increased responsibility accordingly.

We attract ex outside sales persons who are tired of 14 hour days, fighting traffic, beating the pavement, and managing the stress of a heavy travel schedule.

Many of our team members have enjoyed long tenure with our organization - and our average tenure is 4+ years of service.

Cons

Team members are really busy, because there is a lot of demand for our services. This also means we do not have cyclical layoffs due to work shortages.

You count. If you plan to "call in sick" when you're not, slack off, or be a negative influence in the team - team members won't join in your whine fest. Solid team members are busy being successful, have good job satisfaction, and are earning a solid income for their efforts.

Unsuccessful team members and ex-team members who complain and hide behind false and pejorative reviews. Every company has cons, but as a leader, working with management is the way to resolve the issues, not using social media to gripe after the fact. Readers should read reviews with a critical mindset and review those critical reviews from other organizations. There are negative people everywhere and these people tend to have a history of being part of the problem, not part of the solution.

As a member of upper management, I can tell you, we work very hard to support our team members. Running a business is not easy, and management has the responsibility of juggling the needs of employees and clients, while ensuring a safe, health and compliant workplace for team members. It's a major juggling act.

We care about employee success, their welfare and their families. For people who are used to working at faceless corporations where you can hide under the radar - this is a very different atmosphere. If you want to slack off and do the minimum, this is not the company for you. If you want to work hard to achieve, be successful, grow in your career and have great opportunities - this is a terrific environment where you can thrive.

The demand for our services continues to grow - and we've managed to build and foster a terrific line-up of clients in a variety of sectors - to ensure we continue to be vibrant, relevant and successful.

People have complaints with EVERY employer - we want to hear from our employees and do our best to understand and resolve issues.

Cynthia Sundberg, VP Operations and Administration