Visa Inc.

www.visa.com
  www.visa.com
There are newer employer reviews for Visa Inc.

Great company to work for if you can get past the politics

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great pay, some really talented people.

Cons

Lots of politics, nepotism, bureaucracy. Sometimes management can be short sighted and reactionary leading to poor decisions.

645 Other Employee Reviews for Visa Inc. (View Most Recent)

Too many moving parts, none of which are aware of the others

Current Employee - Senior Unix Engineer in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Unix Engineer in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Visa Inc. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's a big company that's never going to fail and they never lay anyone off, so if you get hired, you have a job as long as you want it. Problem is, the incompetent ones are the only ones who stay.

Also, Visa is very clear about their corporate responsibility to their customers and do not deviate from this in the slightest. They expect you to do the same and do not tolerate breaches of confidence.

Cons

There are way to many moving parts to be able to do your job effectively. Any task or project you work on has people from 5-7 other business groups that manage, interfere, or outright block any progress you wish to make.

Getting acclimated to the seemingly endless layers of corporate infrastructure is impossible. Training in basic tools is sufficient, but no one will tell you about the continuous roadblocks to success you will find yourself constantly running into. Even the simplest tasks will need buy in from 2-3 people who don't work together or necessarily know who you are or who you work for.

If you are not used to working for a massively complex and endlessly confusing company, Visa is going to drive you insane in short order.

Encourage better teamwork and greater transparency. Treat new employees as valuable assets that you want to succeed and provide them with a mentor that knows the ropes and can help guide them rather than just throwing new people into the pit to see if they can swim.

Dearth of Leadership leads to Disorder

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Nice Title, Good Salary

Cons

Who's driving the bus? The folks in Sr. Management positions in my division are not leaders. The folks in middle Management who are extremely capable, strategic leaders with staff management/staff development expertise are kept from staff leadership roles. There is little inter-departmental communication. The silo-like environment is remarkable. The teflon-coating each area sports ensures that we spend most time in a reactive, "crisis-junkie" environment, rather than planning where we want to be in 5 years and working together to build that reality. Very depressing to be in a company with so little cooperation and communication. Tough. Not used to "coasting" and didn't realize that's what's expected here. "Just play along."

We love Charlie's talk, especially his theory on how leaders need to lead ... but unless Sr. Management is held accountable to lead the way Charlie suggests ... we will not see the change we so earnestly need.

There are newer employer reviews for Visa Inc.