Visionworks

Eyecare Centers of America

Current Employee - Retail Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Retail Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

in the right environment, it is a good opportunity to learn the optical industry.

Cons

ECCA's marketing is designed to lure customers into their stores and upsell to the extreme. It is a bait and switch mentality. The training concentrates on selling versus optical knowledge. Associates face intense pressure to meet company sales expectations or they will be replaced with "better" salespeople. Managers face similar if not more intense pressure to meet performance expectations, sometimes very unrealisitic expectations. Upper management does not care about their associates, only performance expectations. If they don't need it, convince them they do and sell it to them anyway.

It is also not a family or team culture. Upper management's attitude is that anyone can easily be replaced.

Senior management should reevaluate the current bait and switch marketing model. They should understand that the customers entrust us with their healthcare and we should adopt a higher degree of integrity into the selling process that exists now.

111 Other Employee Reviews for Visionworks (View Most Recent)

Mostly content with ECCA

Current Employee - District Technical Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - District Technical Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

I have been with ECCA for almost 17 years and I've had the oppurtunity to try multiple jobs. Even when I didn't do a great job in retail, I was allowed to change to lab without the threat of counseling or termination. Now I'm incredibly happy with what I do.

Cons

In certain markets that ECCA is in, if you want to advance, you would have to relocate. Also, I travel extensively for ECCA and in doing so, I feel that I am not fairly compensated for being away from my family and my own store.

Communicate more with the people at the store level. Many times, they don't know what direction the company is headed.

This job will make you ready for anything!

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a great career if that's what what you want to do with it. It is also a great part time job where you can transfer the skills to any other job. You meet great people every day and work with them as well. You are constantly learning new things so that it is always interesting and never boring! New training programs in place make the process easier and transparent.

Cons

Constant "stretch goals" can make it frustrating to keep achieving more and more. Although the culture is about "behaviors" it is like any corporate company where the bottom line is the most imprtant thing.

Follow through with what you say you will do.

There are newer employer reviews for Visionworks